It happened: lowsided at 55mph, damage checklist - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

As much as I like Michigan when I visit, the weather can be strange and unpredictable causing dynamic road conditions.

After an accident like that, good to hear you got up and rode away.

Macdoc and Motorpsychology like this.

2008 Silver DL1000
Fork Brace
WERKS Clutch Basket
Super Bright 5600K LEDS
Continental Attack 2 Tires
Power Commander III
GIPro Gear Indicator ATRE
GP Kompozit Windshield
Mirror Extensions
OEM Center Stand
Galper Front Sintered Brake Pads
Galper Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
SV Racing Big Brake Adapter Kit
Nissin Gold 4 Piston Front Calipers
( From 2003 Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade )
Maxima 10/40 PURE Synthetic Oil
Staintune Slip-on Mufflers
Shindengen SH847 Serial R/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 09:10 PM
fig
Stromthusiast!

I can’t add anything about the bike that hasn’t been covered. I will share a low side I had. 12 mph. Minimal damage. I felt fine. 3 months later I’m in my firebird driving to work and it feels like someone shoved an ice pick in my neck. I tough it out for a few days wondering wtf is going on. I finally go to doctor. Xrays, mri, two ruptured discs in my neck. Did it happen during the low speed low side? I can’t say. I certainly should have had an X-ray done at the time even though I had no symptoms.

Glad you’re ok. What tires did you have on it?

Last edited by fig; 09-05-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks steady horse, I was debating on doing that. I have Shinki 804/805 tires

2009 Wee-Strom. Center Stand, Givi crash bars, AMS skid plate, MadStad wind screen mount, Cee Baily Windscreen, voltmeter, fork mount fog lights, Shinko 804/805, seat concepts saddle, EB PC8,heated grips, single headlight cutout, dual USB charger, 12v charger. Next mods: sonic springs, short blinkers, bark busters, delkevic exhaust.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Glad you're still with us and in 1 piece.
Those firemen must've been impressed when you rolled in to tell the story!
post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyHorse View Post
You might want to to loosen the forks in the sliders and pump them a couple times to make sure they're in alignment. There's videos on youtube if you haven't done it before.
If it had to happen, you were fortunate to have low sided. I did much the same thing once, but the bike stood up and threw me like a champion rodeo bull.
Sounds like a fairly good slam when it contacted the surface. The upper fork bracket may have twisted slightly out of alignment with the steering stem. Maybe not enough to cause binding of the suspension, but could contribute to bar vibration and the bike favoring one side with no hands on the bars.
CAP10 likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #16 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

as BC Rider mentioned above. check your airbox.

How long was the bike on its side?

I had a high speed fall myself around 55mph fall, minimal damage to bike, I had a fractured collar bone to show for. My SW Motech engine guard scratched up. My only damage is a bent end bar screw that I had to replace.

After this fall, my oil started disapearing at a rate of 1/2 qt per tank. Could not figure out for the longest time.

When I opened my air box, there were oil in them. at the bottom and the crankcase breather was soaked in oil. Being a cheap bastard and not wanting to spend 15 dollars shipped for a breather. I opted to degrease it using purple power.

Still oil was escaping.

So after almost 1 year of riding and topping off oil, I decided to replace the crankcase breather with a new OEM one. Yep, you guessed it, my oil stopped disappearing.

So now I advise people that whenever you replace your air filter on your bike, go ahead and replace the crankcase breather. There's another thread by a fellow vstrommer that his breather disentegrated and the breather material left lot of the residue behind and may have gotten into the engine.

I'm glad you sustained minimum damage to your body

2008 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
2013 Yamaha WR250R
2004 BMW R1150RT
2002 Ducati 998 Superbike
2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix/Independent
1982 BMW R100RT
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Sold
1985 Yamaha FZ-750 - Sold
1984 Kawasaki GPZ-750 - Sold
post #17 of 17 Old 09-20-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My elbow was bothering me but got it x rayed and no issues, so I think I’m all set. Still getting really sore in random places when doing pretty much any sort of physical activity. I walked it out and bike slid 120-140 ft and I slid about 100 ft and I’m guessing rolled 2-3 times. Basically all damage was the givi crash bar which bent so far in it hit my front fairing, and my rear peg bent the subframe so gotta replace the rear subframe which I found off eBay for only $40. Other than little odd bits like fog light, mirror, plastic hand guards and brake pedal I don’t have much to do.

2009 Wee-Strom. Center Stand, Givi crash bars, AMS skid plate, MadStad wind screen mount, Cee Baily Windscreen, voltmeter, fork mount fog lights, Shinko 804/805, seat concepts saddle, EB PC8,heated grips, single headlight cutout, dual USB charger, 12v charger. Next mods: sonic springs, short blinkers, bark busters, delkevic exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode