StromTrooper banner

oil sight glass view

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Gert 
#1 ·
OK - so I'm either the most forgetful person in the world, or the least observant, but:
just completed oil change on 2004 650 vstrom and was looking at the oil level in the sight glass.
I had overfilled it :frown2:, so I took the old top from a windex bottle, inserted it into the crankcase, and "squirted out" the surplus oil until the level was correct.
Started it.
Ran it for 3 minutes.
Shut it off.
After a minute checked the level.
My questions are these:
- what is that little "star-shaped" thing in there?
- is it supposed to spin when engine starts up?
- supposed to spin when driving?
- supposed to spin ever?
My reason for asking is: I seem to remember it spinning before. And I wonder if by overfilling, or siphoning, I have damaged something deep in the bowels of my engine.
Please mitigate my fears, as I have a sick feeling in my stomach.
Supposed to leave for TN tomorrow (300 miles), but may take the car instead...
thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Also, if you replaced the filter you want to run the engine a bit to let the the filter absorb oil, then recheck level, often times it will be lower.

#8 ·
Many of us fill to just shy of the top of the window, It keeps the stator bathed in more oil which helps keep it cooler and a cooler stator lasts longer. I have no idea if the theory is correct, but I always slightly overfill. When on the road a perfectly level surface is not easy to find, so I really think the fill window high mark is a recommended 'suggestion'.

Besides my centerstand is slightly tweaked so my bike leans to the right a bit when up.

#9 ·
GW stated that on the center stand the oil level in site glass would be at the top when the proper amount of oil was used.
It holds 2.3 liters, 2300ml. Says so right by the site glass. If you put 2 liters in and run the motor you are going to be just fine.
I usually put in the 2 liters and run the motor a bit then when it's all settled I top it off.

#11 ·
I've noticed mentioned in threads like these that people check the oil with the bike on the center stand. This doesn't make any sense since the rear wheel is raised and the bike doesn't come with a center stand, therefore the site glass is designed to be read with both wheels on the ground, bike straight up at 90 degrees.

When my oil level is just below the top line in the site glass when the bike is straight up, the level will be above the entire glass when on the center stand. Only one of those readings is right, and it ain't the center stand reading.

Reactions: 6:45 Orange Sunrise
#12 ·
On the center stand, the bike is tilted forward to a degree. This is the reason why it is recommended to fill the sight glass to very near the top of the glass (see post #9) and as a final check, by holding the bike level on two wheels, to recheck the oil level. Over time, you will come to trust which of these oil level checking methods works best for you.

#15 ·
Yup totally agree and how I've always done it, I have also noticed that with our without a filter change, I can put in "exactly" what is specified on the crankcase and the level is always spot on the top fill mark. So it's 2400ml with filter, and approx 2200ml without a filter. I also check/adjust chain tension on the centerstand as well.....yup I'm a rebel. :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.