oil sight glass view - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 09-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I've noticed mentioned in threads like these that people check the oil with the bike on the center stand. This doesn't make any sense since the rear wheel is raised and the bike doesn't come with a center stand, therefore the site glass is designed to be read with both wheels on the ground, bike straight up at 90 degrees.

When my oil level is just below the top line in the site glass when the bike is straight up, the level will be above the entire glass when on the center stand. Only one of those readings is right, and it ain't the center stand reading.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

On the center stand, the bike is tilted forward to a degree. This is the reason why it is recommended to fill the sight glass to very near the top of the glass (see post #9) and as a final check, by holding the bike level on two wheels, to recheck the oil level. Over time, you will come to trust which of these oil level checking methods works best for you.
Big B likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That star shaped thing is also the clip that stops the sight glass disappearing into the engine.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by om28 View Post
I've noticed mentioned in threads like these that people check the oil with the bike on the center stand. This doesn't make any sense since the rear wheel is raised and the bike doesn't come with a center stand, therefore the site glass is designed to be read with both wheels on the ground, bike straight up at 90 degrees.

When my oil level is just below the top line in the site glass when the bike is straight up, the level will be above the entire glass when on the center stand. Only one of those readings is right, and it ain't the center stand reading.
I think all of us are a bit too anal about this since Suzuki gives us a rather large margin between those two hash marks. On my 07 running hard on slab I have added as much as a half a quart with no ill effects. A little over, a little under.....meh.
Big B, V-Tom, realshelby and 2 others like this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #15 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
On the center stand, the bike is tilted forward to a degree. This is the reason why it is recommended to fill the sight glass to very near the top of the glass (see post #9) and as a final check, by holding the bike level on two wheels, to recheck the oil level. Over time, you will come to trust which of these oil level checking methods works best for you.
Yup totally agree and how I've always done it, I have also noticed that with our without a filter change, I can put in "exactly" what is specified on the crankcase and the level is always spot on the top fill mark. So it's 2400ml with filter, and approx 2200ml without a filter. I also check/adjust chain tension on the centerstand as well.....yup I'm a rebel.
V-Tom, Gert and Motor7 like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #16 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Bike on two wheels, level surface, and standing upright balanced left to right. Oil level at F
I think every damn bike I have owned uses this method...

I keep mine just up to bottom of the site glass...KLR650 also.

"This will be the last bike I'll need to buy"...
post #17 of 18 Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
site glass is redundant warning system to the tapping / knocking sound right?
outdoorgb likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Maintaining the correct oil level is strongly advised, not only for best engine lubrication, but also to reduce the risk of stator related issues.
RoadWarrior1978 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode