Engine stuttering around 5k rpm - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blaustrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Engine stuttering around 5k rpm

Afternoon everyone. I’ve got a 2007 vstrom DL650. It sat for a few years with limited riding. Before I started it up I took the old gas out and put new in, and added some sea foam as well. Since I have started riding again around 5k rpm the engine starts to sputter, and I cannot get it above 8k rpm in any gear. It is very consistent with the rpm where it sputters, so I do not believe it is a clogged fuel filter/carb. In neutral, the engine does work properly (it does not stutter at 5k rpm). I did a bunch of trouble shooting and found some possibilities that it could be tps or stva. I took the fairings and tank off, as well as the air box to take a look at the throttle body. When I turn the bike on and I am looking at the carbs the butterfly opens fully and closes (goes through its normal setup procedure). This would lead me to believe that the stva is not stuck. However, when I slowly turn the throttle and then slowly release it back I can see the throttle cable move accurately along with my wrist movement but the butterfly’s both stall and stutter around a quarter turn and will not open fully. This seems to be in line with what I am experiencing when I ride - but I am not very experienced with the strom engine. Is this indicative of a busted Or is that a normal operation for the butterfly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Sorry meant to say in the last line “Is this indicative of a busted tps or is that a normal operation for the butterfly?

Dang auto correct
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 05:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tideman View Post
...... When I turn the bike on ... the butterfly opens fully and closes (goes through its normal setup procedure)... Or is that a normal operation for the butterfly?
That is normal operation for the STV when the key is turn on. I would recommend doing a fuel flow test, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3981.0.html and https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,11603.0.html, to rule out one of the possible causes.
Some possible solutions, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...starvaton.html and https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...w-powaaaa.html.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I will do that as well, thank you for the advice. I’m not sure if I did a good job articulating my troubleshooting though. I was pretty sure the butterfly opening and closing was part of the normal operation when the bike is turned on. I put that in my post to illustrate the fact that when I turn my bike on it does open fully and close the way that it should. However, when I pull back the throttle slowly the butterfly stutters and stalls at a out a quarter turn of the throttle. I am guessing the fly should be open 100% when I pull the throttle 100% but it only opens about 25%. I very well could have fuel flow issues as well, but keep in mind that this test was performed after removing the fuel tank and the airbox - and it seems to me that the butterfly’s are acting funny which is why I am thinking it is an electrical component or sensor.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Appear to be a high pressure fuel pump plugged issue.

do a search on external fuel filter bypass.

2008 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
2013 Yamaha WR250R
2004 BMW R1150RT
2002 Ducati 998 Superbike
2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix/Independent
1982 BMW R100RT
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Sold
1985 Yamaha FZ-750 - Sold
1984 Kawasaki GPZ-750 - Sold
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

As Gert suggests do the fuel flow test before worrying about anything else.

When you changed the fuel did you look into the tank? Any rust?
Big B likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks everyone for the guidance so far. I did look in the tank and didn’t see any visible rust but I would agree that it is likely that there was some junk that possibly made its way to the fuel filter, particularly after all of your advice. I will definitely perform a fuel flow test once I get the bike back together and chase the fuel as that is a very likely cause.

Before I put the airbox on, I am still curious about the normal operation of the butterfly’s on the air intakes. If you have time, take a look at the video linked below. You can see the butterflies open all the way and close when I turn the bike on as part of the normal startup procedure. Then I roll the throttle on slowly and then back off slowly. If you look carefully you can see the throttle cable moving as I roll my wrist. The butterflies are “stalling” at about 25% open and never open fully despite me consistently rolling the throttle back. Perhaps this is normal operation when the motor is not running (as I have the bike apart) but I would like to confirm that before I put that airbox back on as I anticipate that being a huge pain. Any advice you can provide would be great, thanks for all the advice so far!!

https://youtu.be/vftkrVxgZXI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode