Electrical problems - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rolex
  • 1 Post By Gert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Electrical problems

Hi guys,

Two years ago I bought my 2006 dl650 with about 80.000 miles on it. After the first few months of riding the first problems started. On some occasions the battery would be dead after just driving it. On other occasions the battery would stay normal for weeks on after before the problem would start again. The battery was fine and so was the charging system on the bike. This problem resolved itself after a while so I was happy.

Recentley however, new electrical problems started. At first the low beam would be out. High beam worked fine. I checked online for a solution and I have cleaned the starter button, the left handlebar controls, checked the big connector in the left fairing, the connectors on the back of the radiator, and the fuses.

The low wil work sometimes, but not always. I also had a problem with the indicators that would not work sometimes. On top of this, I noticed that the computer had reset itself one time because the clock on the dash went back to 1 pm when I started the bike.

What can cause these problems? A break in one wire seems not the case to me because I have multiple issues. Could it be a bad ground or something else? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

First place to start is the battery cables.

They need to be clean and tight at the battery, at the solenoid and where the earth cable bolts to the motor.

That will not explain the low beam but it could explain the charging problems and the clock reset.
Gert likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Good info from Rolex. Often when you have multiple unrelated electrical problems the only common thing is grounds.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the replies!

Where could I find the earth cables that bolt to the motor? Is it on the back of the engine case?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
It would be a good idea to install a headlight relay, Eastern Beaver makes one. It won't fix the headlight problem, but prevents it from happening. One thing to check is the headlight switch, look for burnt contacts, often times you can clean these up and it will fix the headlight issue. A typical problem, it happened to me.

As far as the intermittent battery problem, I'm not sure, it may or may not be part of the headlight problem. As you may know stators are notorious for failing on these bikes, but being your seems to be intermittent is confusing.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Lay down just back of the rear brake lever side and look towards the front sprocket, you will see the earth strap connection to the gearbox near the R/H side. A bit out of the way to get to. Other threads on earthing / ground discussions, https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...al-ground.html and https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...t-concern.html
Brockie likes this.

Last edited by Gert; 08-26-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode