Ignition switch won't turn off! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ignition switch won't turn off!

Hello! My 2005 650 did something really weird yesterday. I rode it to work, rode it mid day, all fine. When I left in the evening I turned the key on, then back off because I forgot something.....and the headlights and dash didn't turn off! Cycled the ignition switch several times, same result, started engine, same result - turning the ignition switch off didn't kill the engine, although the kill switch did, but the lights still stayed on. The key action felt normal. OK, I figured I'd ride it home and then disconnect the battery. But when I got home the ignition switch worked normally! And today, so far so good. So somehow, my ignition switch turned on and was not responsive to turning the key back off, but then riding time and maybe vibration fixed it, at least for now.

This is not the first time I've had weird behavior from the ignition switch, see the thread below if you're interested. After that I followed the instructions also linked below to take the switch apart. I didn't really find any anomalies, everything looked pretty normal in there. No cracked solder joints, loose conductive objects rolling around inside the switch, that kind of thing. I cleaned everything, greased it and put it back together. This is the first time it's acted up since.

So what the heck? Maybe the tab that clocks the key portion to the switch electrical portion is wearing out and coming undone occasionally? But again, it didn't look worn when I worked on it. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new ignition switch. Anybody seen this behavior? Thanks!

My previous thread from 2016:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...t-key-etc.html

Reference thread for fixing ignition switch:
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,10907.0.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The contacts in the bottom of the switch are making contact when they shouldn't. Could moisture be involved?
Perhaps its worth a second disassembling a second time. As it is occasional, and the kill switch works is it a big problem?

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hi Brockie,

Yes, kill switch is fully functional for the engine, it leaves the lights on of course. And I packed my 10mm but driver, just in case I have to disconnect the battery 😉

Moisture is not involved. I'm in AZ, it's been a hot, dry week. It's only happened once so far since I reworked the ignition switch. In my previous weirdness 3 years ago, moisture did make it worse.

Sumthin is certainly bridging the contacts, whether in the switch or in the wiring somewhere, like if two wires have rubbed through. That seems very unlikely though.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you do take it apart again I would carefully look at what might bridge the contacts. Bared wires would seem unlikely, but grasp and flex the loom to the switch with the ignition off to check.

Is this link any help? https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,10907.0.html
Gert and GearheadS like this.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, that's the link I posted in the original post. I followed that procedure a couple years ago when I worked on this before, didn't find anything foreign in the switch. I was really expecting to find some loose metal in there.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

This problem of the engine continuing to run is also happening to me. not consistently.

when I turn off the ignition, the engine would continue to run a second or two. but not all the time.

This only occurred after I installed the H4 Relay kit so scratching my head on this. I never use the kill switch when turning engine off.

2008 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
2013 Yamaha WR250R
2004 BMW R1150RT
2002 Ducati 998 Superbike
2001 BMW R1200C Phoenix/Independent
1982 BMW R100RT
2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Sold
1985 Yamaha FZ-750 - Sold
1984 Kawasaki GPZ-750 - Sold
post #7 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Huh, the PO of my bike installed a relay kit as well. How could that cause this though? Doesn't make sense.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That's a common denominator that should not be ignored. Depending on how often the fault occurs, could you not experiment by disconnecting the relay kit for a while?
Are any of your accessories at all connected to the OEM wiring? Even an earth?

post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguy View Post
This problem of the engine continuing to run is also happening to me. not consistently.

when I turn off the ignition, the engine would continue to run a second or two. but not all the time.
This has been reported by others on hot days.

When the radiator cooling fan is running it can produce enough power to back feed into the ignition system to keep the motor running after the key has been shut off.

If the fan is not running when the key is turned off the bike will shutdown as normal.
Gert likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Huh, the plot thickens. That's weird. This last time for me I had not been riding all day, but it was hot, sitting under a cover in the Tucson sun. But the fan was not running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode