FI C31 code - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

FI C31 code

This is just for general information.

I was on a long trip a few weeks ago and kept getting an intermittent FI warning light. In a rest area I McGuyvered a couple wires onto the Dealer connection and after a few tries got a C31 code.

That night in a motel parking lot I found the fault to be on the clutch safety switch which was loose. This bike is a K5 650 with better than 100 K miles: a trusty old warhorse.

Yes, I do travel with a laptop that has the repair manual on it, so finding the fault was not too difficult.

I just disconnected the connector, made a small jumper and connected the leads, taped it all up and kept on keeping on...

Perhaps I'll replace it someday, perhaps I won't, but no more FI light for that issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I think the ECM has a different fuel map for "clutch lever pulled in", so cutting that switch out may cause some issues. Not noticeable in normal riding, but may affect fuel mileage.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-14-2019, 04:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

I recall from one of the posts by the late greywolf, leaving the clutch switch shorted out for extended periods on a K4-K6 Wee will not cause any ECU related problems, only the designed safety issues. However from K7 if the clutch switch is left shorted out, it will cause the ECU to readjust the fueling and may cause strange complaints of rough idle, to stalling when coming to a stop, etc.
Stalky Tracker, Rolex and Solo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode