How much power do you save switching to LED headlights, brake lights, turn signals? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rolex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How much power do you save switching to LED headlights, brake lights, turn signals?

How much power do you save switching to LED headlights, brake lights, turn signals?

I was trying to decide if it's worth it. Maybe I'll wait until a headlight burns out and then replace them both with LED.

Saving power for other things is a benefit to me. Easier on the stator I suppose, or just able to run more stuff without stressing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Which bike ?.

The newer models maybe 55W total assuming you are running at night with high beam on. ~30W day time.
Roughly enough to run a set of aux lights or heated grips but it's not a massive saving. Tail light saves very little but you can get a lot better tail/brake light. Brake light and indicators are seldom on so really don't contribute anything.

I wouldn't do it for the power savings BUT if you are careful about what LED's you get you will get better lights in all senses of the word. The older and cheaper LED were just brighter, the ones I'm running now are all round better - beam pattern is better, brightness is better, visibility is better.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

The stator produces the same power no matter the load it is the regulator that decides where that power goes.

There is a thought that LED's are harder on the stator not easier.

"With the original regulator" any unused power is dumped back to the stator in the form of heat so by reducing your load you are increasing the heat at the stator.

You can change the regulator so it dumps the heat not the stator.

I know of a guy that changed to LED headlights on his Wee and within a couple of weeks his stator failed, would it of failed anyway ? who would know.
richlandrick, Gert and Solo like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I though any excess or most power was shunted to ground not recycled back to the stator.

To the OP,

Going to LED's does not "save" electrical power. It frees it up to be used other places like heated gear or additional lighting.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

I installed some $25 LEDs and the charge rate went up from 14.1 to 14.5 and is more steady.
I figured for the price it was cheap experiment. Don't know about light pattern because i haven't had a much change to ride at night and haven't tried illuminating the garden wall.
It's brighter and possibly makes me more apparent to the oncoming traffic and that's good enough for me.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have somebody ride your bike towards you in the day time and at night with stock then with LED headlights. that alone cinched it for me. plus at night I can see what is out there better. my led headlights put out so much light that I am going to aim them a little lower. and they are not the brightest ones you can buy. plus the reduced current draw is supposed to be great for your wiring harness and switches.

I don't know for sure about the light of the LED tail/brake lights. I should have replaced 1 tail light with Led and compared them but I was so stoked with the LED headlights that I just replaced both tail/brakes. they do seem to put out plenty of light.

for the visibility factor alone even in day time I would go to LED headlights. You are noticably more visible day or night and you can see better at night. so I would replace the stockers as there is quite a difference.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I installed some $25 LEDs and the charge rate went up from 14.1 to 14.5 and is more steady.
I figured for the price it was cheap experiment. Don't know about light pattern because i haven't had a much change to ride at night and haven't tried illuminating the garden wall.
It's brighter and possibly makes me more apparent to the oncoming traffic and that's good enough for me.
I would go back to the original globe.

14.5v is to high. 14.2 is best.

You need to keep a very close eye on that battery it could be expelling fluids and highly explosive gases.

When ever you are working near the battery ensure you don't create a spark.

At 14.5 the best case is you are only shortening the life of the battery the worse case is you have a bomb under your butt.

A couple of tips: even a sealed is not sealed and can loose fluid, I'm not sure this will work with LED globes but if you see the glow of your headlights go up and down with the RPM's there is a good chance the battery is low on fluid.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
On my '13 650, I put in LED and skipped the headlight relay kit. Hoping it cut the current enough to save the starter switch. Almost 19,000 miles and a few years and no problem. 14.1 V running. Pretty old battery but not original.

kfh000
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Rolex. I'll keep and eye on it.
but it fluctuates as the charge system senses the needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode