Test Hot Every Where - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratchet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-11-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Test Hot Every Where

I finally got the paint sorted out and the tank fairings painted. Yesterday I re-installed the fairings and today installed the black plastic cover behind and below the headlight.

Before I started all this, I installed a pair of blaster horns under the cowling and they worked great. While the fairings have been off, about 6 months, no horn of course, but the bike ran fine and actually didn't really look all that different.

When I installed the black cover today, hooked up the new horns and they didn't work. Replaced a bad fuse and now have power to them but they don't work.

I got out the test light - 12v bulb mounted on a needle sharp probe with about 3ft of wire to an alligator clip. Connected the clip to battery negative and that bulb lights up no matter where I touch it, it seems.

With clip to batt neg, I can touch frame, forks, hot leads, you name it - it lights up - even on horn hot and neg. The only thing that seems to be right is the hot from horn switch to relay. It shows dead normally and lights when horn button is pushed and a faint click can be heard.

The bike ('05 WeeStrom) starts normally and runs fine.....horn just doesn't work. I've got a lot of experience at this and am completely baffled. Any ideas ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Do the horns have an adjusting screw? too tight and too loose and the horns won't beep. Plan B would be bad grounding.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #3 of 3 Old 08-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Something is confusing here. You say with the clip on the NEGATIVE you get the probe to light up no matter where you touch it? Impossible. The frame is connected directly to the neg terminal and has to be at the same potential as that battery post. You are in effect saying that with the alligator clip attached to the neg battery post you get a light when you touch the alligator clip w the probe. "Lighting up everywhere" makes sense if you are clipping to the positive post (excepting the touching the probe to the alligator clip) and touching the probe to grounds.

If I assume you are clipped to the pos batt post, then this makes sense. If your horn switch is jammed in the on position, then you will get power to the horn all the time. Pull the horn contacts and put the test light across them - one gets the alligator clip, the other wire gets the probe. See what the horn switch does or if the probe lights when you hit the switch. This should tell you if the horns are the problem (pull both of them and deal with only one pair of wires - isolate the other pair.
573avd111 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode