Handlebar Wobble - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Handlebar Wobble

Hey!

So since I bought the bike, I noticed if I let go of the handlebars they start to wobble pretty bad (both loaded or unloaded).

I checked the front bearings for play, and there is not play at all.

I checked the front tire for cupping, looks totally fine. I have since replaced the tire, and same thing.

I am looking to invest in some steering damper, because the weird thing is, if I am going into a turn with no bumps from a stop, no problem. But from a stop if I go into a turn and hit some uneven pavement or a bump, starts to wobble again.

I have seen people rant and rave about the Scotts Steering damper, and while I would prefer not to spend that much money, it seems to be a matter of safety at this point.

Any thoughts/comments on this?

Thanks!

2006 V-Strom 650 RTW trip - www.atravelingteacher.com

Forum Thread: https://www.stromtrooper.com/stromtroopers-new-member-introductions/424339-traveling-world-my-dl650.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Check to see if the preload and all other settings are the same for each fork. If not setup the same, they could be the cause of your wobble.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #3 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
Check to see if the preload and all other settings are the same for each fork. If not setup the same, they could be the cause of your wobble.

I notice the slots up top are not the same angle where I'm assuming I would adjust them. How can I tell which way to go on them/ which one is loaded more?

This could be the issue for sure

Forum Thread: https://www.stromtrooper.com/stromtroopers-new-member-introductions/424339-traveling-world-my-dl650.html

post #4 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppanopoulos View Post
I notice the slots up top are not the same angle where I'm assuming I would adjust them. How can I tell which way to go on them/ which one is loaded more?

This could be the issue for sure
Measure the height of each adjuster from the base. They should be the same height. Clockwise turns will increase the preload.
DesertBike likes this.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #5 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Measure the height of each adjuster from the base. They should be the same height. Clockwise turns will increase the preload.
I just measured them, .8 cm from base they are perfectly aligned.

thank you for telling me this!

Any other thoughts?

post #6 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

You say you checked the front bearings. do you mean front wheel bearings or steering bearings? the steering bearings should be snug enough that there is a noticable SLIGHT drag or preload on them.
post #7 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

If you are taking about a low speed waggle that immediately stops when you put your hands on the handlebar it is a well know issue on first gen DL650's

The only total fix seems to be roller bearings in the steering.

Things that can help are narrower profile front tires (ie Torrance Next instead of regular Torrance tires and other tires with narrower fronts. Tires worn flat are more likely to do it as are tires with lower pressure.

Things that don't help include a fork brace. These are wonderful devices but have no effect on this. I have no effect with steering damper so can't speak to them.

..Tom
Gert and DesertBike like this.

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #8 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
This is the 2012 V1000 suspension adjustment instructions from the users manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seuspension Adjustments.JPG (86.0 KB, 18 views)
ppanopoulos likes this.

W. C. Fields
post #9 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
This is the 2012 V1000 suspension adjustment instructions from the users manual.
I checked this out and it seems pretty good, especially with the weight I'm going to keep them on the stiffer side, though not too stiff.

post #10 of 45 Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
You say you checked the front bearings. do you mean front wheel bearings or steering bearings? the steering bearings should be snug enough that there is a noticable SLIGHT drag or preload on them.
Steering bearings, let me do another check on if there is a slight drag on them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode