Suzuki stored on side - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Suzuki stored on side

I’ve only been riding for a couple weeks now so I’m just a beginner. Having said that I was unaware that storing a bike on its side was so potentially harmful, so I transported two hours on its side in a trailer. It is clear to me now that I have severely :|:|:|:|ed up and now the bike will start, but it will immediately die. When I was able to keep it running it started to smoke.

Long story short something needs to be done. Therefore what is it that I need to do to fix my bike? I’ve done all my bikes maintenance up to this point and I’d prefer to keep it that way, so no “take it into the shop” answers if it can be helped. Thanks guys for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Lying on it's side probably allowed oil to flow into the airbox, hence the smoke. Clean out the airbox, maybe a new air filter, and you should be good.
notacop, Gert and Griff2 like this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Ok I’ll check that out and see if that solves it.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would also advise to remove the battery. Check for leaked acid on the bike. Wash that area down well to dilute any acid. If the battery didn't leak, you are fortunate. Hopefully you aren't low on acid now. Years ago (ok, decades ago), when we lost acid we'd add water and charge the battery. I doubt seriously that they advise that today. Make sure your battery cables are sufficiently tight when you reinstall it.
Gert likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
This thread is for the next model 650 but other than the faring is identical to yours. The job is basically a PIA. Take your time. The quick disconnect fuel line is sometimes difficult to operate.
BTW the battery should be a sealed battery and therefore unable to leak battery fluid.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-...oto-guide.html

There are also videos to help.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

At this point I’d like the add that it’s been upright for about an hour and it smells strongly like gas now. Don’t know what that could mean.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 10:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Gas smell, Go after the tank removal and clean out the oil in the air box. Been there done that. Then leave the dang thang alone for a day or two while the battery is on a tender.
If, when you go to start the bike it doesn't catch without messing with the throttle, you may have to hold the throttle open while it tries to start.
I've never heard of anyone transporting a bike on the side. Other than wrecks that are going to the junk heap. What the hey!
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 11:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Re the battery - if it has a pressed in plastic piece on the top and no obvious caps it is an AGM - absorbed glass mat battery and is sealed except a valve will vent excess pressure so the case does not rupture. If the battery has caps and you can pull them off and see fluid (electrolyte) then it is a cheaper, flooded battery of the older type.

If acid leaked, it will have damaged the paint and possibly insulation on wires - rinse and check carefully. If you see shiny bare metal (frame, fittings) you probably should touch up the paint with some enamel (oil based).

Do NOT start the bike when you smell gas - get rid of any spilled gasoline first. A bit of a whiff is nothing to worry about. Depending on the age of the bike yours might have a charcoal canister. It is possible that the gas filled the canister, in which case you should replace it. On the other hand, if you don't care about the environment at all, you can remove it and vent the gas tank to the atmosphere. Before you do so, I suggest you do some reading to find out why our cars and bikes have these things. Then make an informed choice. YMMV
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

On the battery bit it’s sealed, it’s like 4 weeks old because I had to replace the old one. Also mine is a 2008 650DL.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 01:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
A bike being on it's side isn't going to hurt it especially for only a couple of hours.

My bike was on it's side for about 2 days because of the earthquakes here in Ridgecrest. I moved it outside after the 6.4 and next day the 7.1 knocked it over. It stayed like that until the aftershocks started to back off.

I let the bike sit upright for a few days until I got the go ahead to go back to work. Started right up, no smoke.

The charcoal gas vapor recovery canister probably got flooded but it will drain out. That's probably why the OP's bike wouldn't start and why he smells gas. Battery acid isn't going to leak out unless a cap was loose. The airbox isn't going to fill with oil unless the bike was inverted.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode