Paint Job Went Bad - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Paint Job Went Bad

Hi, it's been a while, but now I'm fixin' to sell my '05 Wee. Lots of new stuff, everything is good....but....paint on tank fairings is pretty bad. I bought a kit from Touch-up Direct and had at it. The base coat went on fine and so did the color coat - looked beautiful. Then I hit the clear coat. For some reason, Touch-up Direct doesn't put rattle balls in the clear coat cans and even tho' I shook those fool things till my arms were sore, I couldn't get it to spray evenly.....and I've had a fair amount of experience.

The clear coat would have shiny, glossy areas as it should, but also some areas that were "grainy," as tho' it wasn't coated properly. Finally, I gave it a really heavy coat. When it dried/cured, it shrank and pulled patches of color coat loose, so now it looks like a dried mudhole with odd shaped patches all over and you can feel the lines with a fingernail.

Disgusted, I bought another paint kit, but this time from Color-Rite to start over on it. Last weekend, I got the random orbit sander out and started on it with 150 grit, then 120 grit, then 80 grit. Migawd, that stuff is like sanding granite - sandpaper hardly touches it. A few black spots starting to show on bends, where plastic is starting to show thru, so now I'm afraid of sanding holes in the fairings.

Is it possible or practical to use a few coats of high build primer and sand them off to try and get a smooth base to start over from ?? I've looked at some paint removers, but am very spooky of dissolving my fairings. Over the years I've painted a lot of parts, but never run into anything like this. Thanks, all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0N4162cj.JPG (63.3 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would think a fine hand sanding, perhaps wet/dry to remove the clear coat then reapply the clear. I'm no expert on the subject so hopefully someone who knows the best approach will chime in soon. Cheers!

Oops, reread your post and it looks like you went a little further than I expected with your last attempt at solving the problem.

Last edited by gdrew; 07-30-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode