Fuel Filter Bypass Mod - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 Old 08-23-2019, 03:55 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Have you perhaps read any of these threads, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...y-pattern.html or https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...build-kit.html. The latter is for the Vee, but it would apply to the Wee as well. 'm not suggesting that the injectors part numbers are the same for both models, but the sourcing of spares / components is worth keeping in mind.
This site has some info on injectors and spray patterns, https://www.witchhunter.com/spraypattern1.php.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 08-26-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Have you perhaps read any of these threads, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...y-pattern.html or https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...build-kit.html. The latter is for the Vee, but it would apply to the Wee as well. 'm not suggesting that the injectors part numbers are the same for both models, but the sourcing of spares / components is worth keeping in mind.
This site has some info on injectors and spray patterns, https://www.witchhunter.com/spraypattern1.php.
Both of my injectors work according to my multimeter. Only off thing is the o-ring on one of them is dead, and that is the one that was on the non-firing cylinder. Also apparently they have little filters in them, and those are definitely the originals. So I ordered a repair kit for the injectors. It should be here sometime this week.
post #43 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Okay! Fuel is finally being delivered! After dealing with parts lost in the mail, defective filters, and unscrupulous eBay vendors...I was finally able to get the pump assembly sorted!

But, the rear cylinder still does not fire, of course. I know fuel is reaching the rear cylinder, because the spark plug was wet. It is however, quite black. Can I clean or should I just replace? Previously, I checked the rear cylinder's ignition coil resistance. It passed. I can not test the the peak voltage right now, not sure how without specialty tools.

So what should I do first to test that the spark plug is getting a spark?

post #44 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbulan View Post
So what should I do first to test that the spark plug is getting a spark?
Remove the spark plug. Push the spark plug cap back on it. Place the threaded/base area of the spark plug against a good ground. Crank engine. Watch for spark at plug.

Some like to install an old spark plug in the open hole. Or not. But be sure to blow debris out of the area. Some like to hold the spark plug by hand against a ground. That can be entertaining to anyone watching sometimes.
Gert and Rides like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #45 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Remove the spark plug. Push the spark plug cap back on it. Place the threaded/base area of the spark plug against a good ground. Crank engine. Watch for spark at plug.

Some like to install an old spark plug in the open hole. Or not. But be sure to blow debris out of the area. Some like to hold the spark plug by hand against a ground. That can be entertaining to anyone watching sometimes.
Oh, I've done that before. This time I'll wear gloves.
post #46 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Checked the spark plug, it sparks, but it was pretty fouled. Hopefully from all the troubleshooting I have been doing. I have flooded the engine a few times.

So I cleaned the spark plug and the rear cylinder fires! I checked the headers on both with a spray bottle and they are both burning gas. But... it idles at about 4K RPM. I know I changed the idle screw when I was troubleshooting a while ago. So I reduced that guy down quite a bit and no change in engine speed.
post #47 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Also, the black connector on the right side of the airbox was disconnected, and it was running at a much more acceptable RPM. Maybe 1100 I think. When I stopped and attached the black connector it went back to 4000 RPMs.
post #48 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Adjusted the idle screw, no change whatsoever in engine speed. Could there be more air getting in somehow?
post #49 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It runs!!!

One of the fuel injector's rubber seats was off, so the injector was leaking air into the cylinder. I redid all that and adjusted the idle screw and...the bike runs!!

Now on to the next three things...lol

(coolant, oil, bolt torque check, misc. routine maintenance)

Thank you everybody! You have all been a great help.
Gert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode