Bike Luggage Solutions. I need one. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Bike Luggage Solutions. I need one.

Once again, I'm back with another thread to get a rec for something that's likely been beaten to death. Well, I want new information, and I also have a more specific set of requirements, I suppose, so at least it'll be a little interesting.

Anyway, I need something to store stuff on my bike with. Mainly, something to hold documents and my phone, and, separately, something to hold my helmet that locks, as I'm tired of carrying it everywhere. I'm thinking a slim tank bag for the former, and a tail box for the latter, but, here's the tricky part.

I do laundry twice a month, and my bucket for that is large. Being a bit of a lazy person, I don't want to have to deal with removing a tail box every time I need to do laundry or haul something large. I also like to go get a pizza every week or every other week, so I need to be able to put that on the tail and strap it down with my 6-point bungee.

So, I was thinking, tail bag and/or side bags; all soft. But which soft bags lock? Is that even really an option? Is there a quick disconnect locking tail box that will satisfy my needs? And, even with all of that, what about budget? Sure, I could save up for months and eventually get whatever I want, but, I'm generally not rich. And the sooner I can get something that'll work, the better.

So what should I do?

Semi TLDR: I'd rather consolidate storage solutions into one so I can have minimal BS on my bike. I also don't want the tank bag to be too big, either way, so phone flap, and a small compartment is all I need for that(trying to avoid a phone mount because clutter and cost of more parts).

The tail storage should be lockable above all else. Next would be either being quick disconnect or soft so I can do laundry and pizza runs hassle-free. At the very least, if a box is my only option, I'd like it to be aerodynamic but with a flat top for those darn pizza runs. PIZZAA!!! And don't forget fitting the helmet. Maybe two, but my main one is modular, if that affects selection due to size constraints.

2006 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just leave the tail box on and strap a laundry bag on seat. I have Givi 47 top case. A medium pizza fits perfectly. If a large I have them put it in two medium boxes. Also no problem for a helmet as long as you are not a packrat like me and never clean the small stuff out.
America First likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inpitt/Mac50 View Post
Just leave the tail box on and strap a laundry bag on seat. I have Givi 47 top case. A medium pizza fits perfectly. If a large I have them put it in two medium boxes. Also no problem for a helmet as long as you are not a packrat like me and never clean the small stuff out.
I usually get a large or extra-large pizza. Laundry box works better for me because if I don't fold at the shop, the shit won't get folded, and I don't think it would stay folded well, or hold as much in a bag. Furthermore, something I didn't mention is difficulty mounting the bike with a box on the back.

Maybe side bags/cases are better for me? Still would like to be able to lane split and be aerodynamic, though, so, locking softs or am I kinda screwed and need to settle/compromise. Also, I'm exactly like that. The small tank bag, whatever it is, will have a notepad, pens, documents, and probably another thing or two in it like my rain liner or something.

2006 DL650

post #4 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
You know top boxes remove in seconds. On mine I turn a key and push a button and voila!

Something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Motorc...motive&sr=1-12

2014 650 Strom

Last edited by Highwayman2016; 07-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

So you want the security and dryness of hard panniers. The compactness and narrowness of soft panniers. A top box that is able to hold lots of stuff securely but be out of the way when you get pizza but be not have to remove when you do laundry and be aerodynamic and all on a small budget? THis shouldn't be too hard

I prefer hard panniers fairly level with the top plate of the bike. The panniers act as extra support. A top case is optional and many of them are or can be made quick connect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL650.jpg (50.7 KB, 18 views)
Inpitt/Mac50, ERockJL and Boriqua like this.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 07-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman2016 View Post
You know top boxes remove in seconds. On mine I turn a key and push a button and voila!

Something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Motorc...motive&sr=1-12
This is what I was asking for in the first place. If a hard box is my only choice for a locking storage solution, then it has to be QD. The one you sent is even at an excellent price. Though, compared to the Givi price, I worry about quality. I may be poor, but I don't want a piece of junk, by any means, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
I prefer hard panniers level with the top plate of the bike. The panniers act as extra support. A top case is optional and many of them are or can be made quick connect.
Hard panniers make the bike hella wide, though. I'm really riding it more as a commuter sportbike than any kind of touring or adventure thing. Hence why I was trying to go for soft bags or stuff that can be easily removed or is aerodynamic. I still wanna lane split, hoon a bit, and not look like an old man going on a trip, lol.

2006 DL650
post #7 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Now the gear needs to be top quality and not cost a lot in addition to the above.

What you are looking for does not exist. Wear a backpack and do laundry more frequently. Switch from pizza to stromboli because they to will fit in a backpack.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Now the gear needs to be top quality and not cost a lot in addition to the above.

What you are looking for does not exist. Wear a backpack and do laundry more frequently. Switch from pizza to stromboli because they to will fit in a backpack.
I hate the backpack. I use one now. Not motorcycle specific and certainly not waterproof, but it can carry a jug of cat litter, so that's pretty good. But I still hate wearing it. Just rediscovered it had clips straps the other day and started clipping it to my rack. Much better.

So, I already have a link for a cheap box, what's the consensus on an expensive box (sized for 1-2 modular helmets/a large pizza), then.

And what should I probably go for tank bag wise? Looking at this, right now, but wish the red wasn't out of stock... https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...netic-tank-bag All it needs to hold are documents, phone, and a little sticky note pad and pen. Maybe gloves and phone charger or something.

2006 DL650
post #9 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Highwayman, that reference looks a lot like the JC WHiteney boxes I've got in the garage. Weird that.
My 18X18X12 Hardigg top box, firmly bolted on, can hold a medium pizza, maybe a large depending on the box.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-27-2019, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Here's what ya need.

It meets all your requirements
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (97.1 KB, 18 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
helmet lock , phone mount , saddle bags , tail bag , tank bag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode