Stock exhaust restricted? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Stock exhaust restricted?

2011 Vstrom 650.. 9K miles.
Quick question, as stated above, is the stock exhaust restricted? I like the basic quiet sound, but with that said is it packed so much that the exhaust cant breath.
I really don't want a loud exhaust (I have a 2 brothers on my Concours 1400, which sounds amazing)
If you do have an after market exhaust, is it too too loud or bearable?
Thanks in advance, Phil.

All engines fine tuned @ Norfolk & Chance industries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelergaugephil View Post
2011 Vstrom 650.. 9K miles.
Quick question, as stated above, is the stock exhaust restricted? I like the basic quiet sound, but with that said is it packed so much that the exhaust cant breath.
I really don't want a loud exhaust (I have a 2 brothers on my Concours 1400, which sounds amazing)
If you do have an after market exhaust, is it too too loud or bearable?
Thanks in advance, Phil.
As far as I'm aware, most stock exhausts and intakes are restrictive. I cut my muffler off and aside from being too loud with no helmet, and slightly flatulent at high revs, I like it for now.

There's a lot less engine braking, though, and there may be less low end or something, but I can't tell being so new to riding.

Already ordered a baffle to go into the straight pipe for 5 bucks off Amazon. 42mm is the needed size.

As far as exhausts go, theyre all expensive, or you're getting a universal one that you will have to make fit, yourself.

Only other option is a Delkevic alip on set for about 230 bucks. That gets you the 14" stainless steel model, qhich has been said to be not much louder than stock with its baffle in, and nice but not too loud with the baffle out.

The great think about Delkevic is that their mufflers are all the same, so if you buy one kit and think it's too loud or not loud enough, you can just buy a different size muffler and use it with your existing kit and mounts.

Don't quote me in this, but you may be able to work out an exchange deal, too. Within a certain time period, of course.

2006 DL650
post #3 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Essentially 100% of a modern vehicle's intake and exhaust systems--cars and motorcycles--are engineered to produce the maximum HP and STILL meet noise and emission standards at the same time. The manufacturers put huge time and money into flow analysis to make sure the intake and exhaust systems work well together. Aftermarket exhaust systems are very expensive and the biggest benefit they MAY provide is a weight savings over OEM. If any performance gains are to be had, it will be at WFO throttle position at the peak HP (read high RPMs) which is typically at the expense of some low- to mid-range torque. I seriously doubt your butt dynamometer will be able to detect the benefit--your ears will fool you into thinking you're going much faster, though. Keep your quiet exhaust and your money in your pocket. And for gawd's sake, don't saw off your muffler!

post #4 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

back in the day I had a Suzuki GS 750. I was young and just had to remove the stock exhaust and install headers and low restriction muffler. Of course that meant a change to pods and a fairly insignificant rejet.

Being young .. I was also broke and sunk a fair bit of money into this project.

In the end I felt like I lost the helmet snap off a red light and all the fun that comes with some low end and what it did give me was quicker access to the top end of the tach. Yes the needle would jump to red line but ... seat of pants it didn't feel any faster because I lost most of the bottom end.

It was loud, it burbled and farted like an old man with health issues and it absolutely annoyed everyone that came in contact with it.

About 2 years ago I bought a GS750 project bike that is now a ride ready driver. I left it bone stock except for a slight change in gearing when I changed out the chain and sprockets. So much more fun to ride in rpms that you will actually ride in. Slamming the throttle and going through the gears will put a huge shit eating grin on your face with its grunt and at speed the stock mufflers have a wonderful sound.

In real like not only is it more fun to ride and I enjoy the power delivery more but I can rip up my local spots and make a racket but when I pull into my community and am cruising in 1st and second and 3000 rpm I am in stealth mode.
MAZ4ME and Lafemiller like this.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHamster View Post
As far as I'm aware, most stock exhausts and intakes are restrictive. I cut my muffler off and aside from being too loud with no helmet, and slightly flatulent at high revs, I like it for now.
Whatever advice the OP follows, it shouldn't be this advice.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Have you searched for pea shooter mod? Typical examples: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph....html#msg62021, https://advrider.com/f/threads/wee-s...e-bark.310307/ and https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/VStrom4.html. There are a few videos on the subject if you do a search. I read that if you do decide to mod your existing exhaust, don't drill the holes, rather punch with a sharp object. On my K6 Wee, I drilled the holes but on my K5 Wee, I left the pea shooter as is. The mod just gives a deeper exhaust sound. No difference in fuel saving.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'd like to get a stock muffler for my 05 Wee. Someone cut the spigot off the end and may have poked a hole in the interior baffle cus it makes silly farty noises.

I did put a Kerker on my '73 Honda 500/4. Only because it was replacing a rusting out set of 4 mufflers. It was less expensive. I was 44 years younger then too.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I'd like to get a stock muffler for my 05 Wee. Someone cut the spigot off the end and may have poked a hole in the interior baffle cus it makes silly farty noises.

I did put a Kerker on my '73 Honda 500/4. Only because it was replacing a rusting out set of 4 mufflers. It was less expensive. I was 44 years younger then too.
I've got a stock muffler from my '04 wee that I may let go of. Been debating putting it back on or not. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
notacop likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
$tromtrooper

Put a Akropovic System on my Wee....not loud by any means, expensive yes (was $500 shipped), alot less weight......and that was what I was after. No looking back....

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
post #10 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Put a Akropovic System on my Wee....not loud by any means, expensive yes (was $500 shipped), alot less weight......and that was what I was after. No looking back....
Also, if you do in fact install an aftermarket that is too loud, you can reduce the 'loudness' by using what's called a 'db Killer'. But also realize that a less restrictive exhaust canister may require a software upgrade to your ECU.

db Killer Example Pic Below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (58.5 KB, 7 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode