Which Service/Repair Manual to buy under $75? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question

Pretty simple, title says it all. The specific reason I need one is that a bolt fell out of my bodywork after picking the bike back up which was laid over in an attempt to retrieve my lost bar-end inner nut.

I have no idea what this bolt goes too, but it's about 4" long, has a flange/flat thingie on the head, is a 10mm bolt, and only has the last 1" or so threaded.

There's also a bolt missing from my lower triple clamp. Tried to fit this bolt in there, but it seems too long. Gonna try to find an empty hole tomorrow.

Does anyone have the part number for the lower triple clamp bolt in the meantime? I can order it at the same time as the manual.

Will edit in pics on the phone if I can, or else upload them in a reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190720_191121037_1563664969939.jpg (245.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190720_191130022_1563664981604.jpg (123.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190720_192940915_1563665431170.jpg (217.2 KB, 6 views)

2006 DL650

Last edited by DrunkenHamster; 07-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Get the Suzuki factory service manual.

You can find any part number easy from any online OEM parts seller. They all have the OEM parts diagrams.

The bolt that fell out with short threaded section, I wonder if its broken off and the remainder of the bolt is still stuck wherever it belongs. Does the bolt end look normal and machined?

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Get the Suzuki factory service manual.

You can find any part number easy from any online OEM parts seller. They all have the OEM parts diagrams.

The bolt that fell out with short threaded section, I wonder if its broken off and the remainder of the bolt is still stuck wherever it belongs. Does the bolt end look normal and machined?
Doesn't look broken off. I added pics to the original post.

2006 DL650

post #4 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
looks like the bolt that goes through the front of the gas tank
post #5 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, agree. I bet your tank is not secured at the front. It uses a nylock nut if I remember right.

The bar end weight nut is behind an expandable rubber plug. Probably the same size as the tank bolt. If you use that or the proper bar end bolt, carefully thread it in about 2-3 turns, then push inwards, it will unstick the rubber and then you can pull it out.

Here is another procedure: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=10943.0
Hard miles likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Yes, agree. I bet your tank is not secured at the front. It uses a nylock nut if I remember right.

The bar end weight nut is behind an expandable rubber plug. Probably the same size as the tank bolt. If you use that or the proper bar end bolt, carefully thread it in about 2-3 turns, then push inwards, it will unstick the rubber and then you can pull it out.

Here is another procedure: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=10943.0
I'll get a new nylock then for the tank bolt. As far as the bar end thing, I already tried re-threading it and just ended up pushing the rubber and nut in more. Pulled the rubber out with a bent welding rod, but couldn't retrieve the nut. Pretty sure it's in the middle of my bars, now.

Also, my left hand controls housing is split open like it's missing bolts or something. Hasn't fallen off and doesn't seem like it will, but it does rotate easily. Definitely bitching out the bike shop tomorrow, assuming they're open. Sucks, too, I have a lot to do tomorrow and I just wanted to enjoy the damn weekend... :/

2006 DL650
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look for a small magnet with a hole in it, attach to a wire and you will get the nut out.

Alternative attach a pvc hose to your vacuum crevice nozzle (needs some tape). That should also get the nut.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 07-20-2019 at 11:12 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is an image of all the parts of the bar end weight. Parts #8 and #5 are rubber. The nut is usually embedded into the compression rubber and some people have resorted to compressed air from the other side to get it out. Otherwise a length of fuel or brake line to push the bits out. If you need to remove the throttle side it is easiest if you loosen the four handlebar mounting bolts and move the bars to the left. You can loosen the throttle side switch block and then have the cable clearance to slide the whole throttle assembly off the bar without needing to disassemble it.
There may be more bits still in there than you realise.

For the lower triple clamp bolt remove the same bolt from the other side and take it to the dealer or a parts shop to purchase another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V-Strom Bar end weight.jpg (46.6 KB, 2 views)

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think Brokie is right, my first thought. i got a factory manual from the forum for sale section and paid about $25.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Here is an image of all the parts of the bar end weight. Parts #8 and #5 are rubber. The nut is usually embedded into the compression rubber and some people have resorted to compressed air from the other side to get it out. Otherwise a length of fuel or brake line to push the bits out. If you need to remove the throttle side it is easiest if you loosen the four handlebar mounting bolts and move the bars to the left. You can loosen the throttle side switch block and then have the cable clearance to slide the whole throttle assembly off the bar without needing to disassemble it.
There may be more bits still in there than you realise.

For the lower triple clamp bolt remove the same bolt from the other side and take it to the dealer or a parts shop to purchase another.
Part 9 is the missing part, I have the rest. As for the triple clamp bolt, well, the only way for me to get around is the bike, sooo... Looks like I'll be going to my local shop, instead? Or just ordering online after looking in the manual. Which I also need to order.

2006 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bolt fell out , lower triple clamp , missing bolt , service manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode