Age or value - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Age or value

Hi, I have a choice to make and am unsure as to what to do - hence posting here. I have decided I would like a V-Strom 650 as my first bike and have a choice to make of either a 05plate 23500 for 1900 which will take all day to go and check out as it’s miles away or the dealership 11plate with 21000 for 3300 that I rode today.
What I wanted to know is what more I’ll be getting for the money - for context the 05 has done a European tour and a road trip and the 11 was an instructors bike and will
Come with a new service and mot- I really don’t know what to do- I did I my training on a Gladius and loved the power distribution- does the 11 plate have the svf engine or did it change when they updated the model in 2012 as the 11 plate has the old body style- sorry to ramble but I have a limited window of opportunity on the 05 plate - thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome firstly!

Never do any decision like this under time pressure. There are MANY 650 out there so you will find exactly what you want.

Has the 2011 ABS?

What is an instructors bike? Used to train new riders?

The 2012 onwards had some re-design and are all ABS. The 2007 onwards (if I remember right) had minor upgrades to the engine. Read up here, there is a ton of info, then decide what it is you want and hunt for it.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

How close do you come to making 1,400 ($1,740 USD) per day at your job?

post #4 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Welcome firstly!

Never do any decision like this under time pressure. There are MANY 650 out there so you will find exactly what you want.

Has the 2011 ABS?

What is an instructors bike? Used to train new riders?

The 2012 onwards had some re-design and are all ABS. The 2007 onwards (if I remember right) had minor upgrades to the engine. Read up here, there is a ton of info, then decide what it is you want and hunt for it.

Don't look at this from a USA perspective as I believe the OP is from across the pond.
oxbowguy likes this.
post #5 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the welcome.
I appreciate there’s no rush but having looked at the deals 1900 seems a pretty good price but there will be no warranty (3 months with 2011)and I m not mechanically minded.
Yes I am in the uk and I reckon that 1400 is a massive difference but I suppose I’m asking if the difference is worth paying the money for.
An instructor bike is for teaching students (the students do not ride it) and as it’s their livelihood probably well maintained.
A bit lost really and appreciate any input.
They both have a top box and hand guards- the 11 has full
Luggage and skid plate and engine guards too.
The 05 a 12v power outlet
post #6 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Any accessories you can think of are available for either model, don't let that sway you.

As a first bike, and especially as you say yourself you are not mechanically minded, get the newer machine with the better service history. It is less likely to have any issues and being an instructor bike won't have been abused.
Motorpsychology likes this.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #7 of 91 Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
The luggage on the '11 is worth quite a bit. If the skid plate is metal rather than plastic it also is worth a bit.
Combined, the value of these options narrow the difference between the asking price a bit.
Take that into consideration.
post #8 of 91 Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

The '11 was the last year of the SV650 motor, the Gladius motor started in '12. I believe the difference is a bit more power at lower RPM's, slightly better gas mileage, and a heat exchanger instead of an oil cooler.

Is your '11 ABS? If so I'd lean that way.

I consider mileage and age, sometime low mileage old bikes can be bad, over time rubber components dry and crack, fuel systems get buggered up from sitting.

Not being mechanical I'd lean towards the '11.
scab and Motorpsychology like this.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.
post #9 of 91 Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The 11 plate does not have abs - I have been riding for 3 years (except when it snows - which isn’t much where I live in the uk) on my trusty cg125 and have never had it so probably wouldn’t miss it. I reckon I might be able to squeeze another 3 months warranty out of them but no guarantees of that either.
post #10 of 91 Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

I do not know how warranties work in the UK.

Is it Suzuki factory warranty or a 3rd party warranty? If it a 3rd party what is covered? Is there a deductible if so how much? Who will the warranty company authorize to make repairs? Are repairs made with new OEM parts or sourced gently used?

Honestly the DL's are know to be pretty bullet proof and I personally would not spend 40% more to get a couple months of warranty.

As far as luggage and skid plate are they even important to you? My DL was only used on road so a skid plate was of no use to me. For panniers I used Happy Trails pannier racks $300 and Pelican cases for a total of about $500 USD.

You can do a lot of farkling for less than 1,400

Either bike should serve you well it comes dowm to buy the one you are most comfortable buying. Or if you are not comfortable with either wait for something else to come up f/s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode