Fuel starvaton - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Fuel starvaton

Let me go ahead and apologize for creating this topic, since I've seen its been covered multiple times, but i need some advice. I purchased 2008 Vstrom 650 (upgraded from a Boulevard S40) this past Friday and its been an absolute blast, until yesterday. It seems to freeze between 6k-7k rpm and stop accelerating under full throttle. It had been sitting for two years prior, but the guy had the bike up and running around for about a week before he posted it. From what i found on this forum, I need to look into the high pressure fuel filter and getting that replaced. Also i have a whine after start up, along with the almost dial-up like sound after flipping the kill switch with the key on. After taking it to my buddy at the shop and reading up it sounds like the fuel pump.

Now the reason i created this post is because I'm confused on a couple of things.

Is the sound from the fuel pump (whine) related to the clogged filters or could it be an issue with the pump itself? It just started yesterday along with the no top end. I've been looking at this for a replacement if so, does anyone know much about it, its the quantum t35, id post a link, but this is my first post.

I think i should replace the high-pressure fuel filter, but i read somewhere about a non-serviceable filter and im not sure what exactly to do about that. Should i look into just getting the changeable filters and clean what i can or shell out for the entire assembly?

I'm looking to do this work myself and was also curious about the bypass filter mod, but i think that only for earlier models, is this right?

I know I should've flushed the gas and done some more maintenance before this happened, but i was too excited and got stupid about it.
Thank y'all for all the info on this forum, seems like a great community and I hope to stick around for quite a while,
James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

On my '07 Wee, I had to replace both the low-pressure filter (really just a small, simple strainer, if memory serves) and the high pressure filter.

My low pressure filter fell apart in my fingers. It was just.............gone.

The high pressure filter was easy enough to replace, with an OEM item, but, if you decide to do the work, when you pull the high pressure filter off the pump assembly - stop - and look very closely at the mating faces of both items. There's a small "bridge" piece of plastic or tubing that might come off with the old high pressure filter. You need that small item (need to put it on the new high pressure filter). I made the mistake of not doing this...

Beyond that, the symptoms of my bike is that it ran well from full tank (full gas tank) to about a half tank. After that, it ran poorly.

Don't know what to say about the sounds. I don't recall that whine on my bike. I also can't comment on the bypass. Lots have done that, apparently successfully, but, personally, I'd go OEM.

Good luck, regardless.

And welcome, btw!

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
post #3 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
So according to the assembly picture here I think i need to order 2 and 7 for the filters. Does this seem correct? 15420-05H00 (for 2) / 15610-27G00 (for 7) labeled as part of the regulator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg su0408012032.jpg (128.6 KB, 8 views)

post #4 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

To potentially save a lot of $$$ use the google box on the top right of this page and search"fuel filter bypass" or something like that and do some reading. It's really quite a simple job and may correct the whining noise as it did on my pump.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The only issue I'm having is finding a guide for the k7 and up wee. I've seen the guides for previous models and i assume the process is similar, but id like to really know what I'm doing if I'm gonna go drilling.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

If the bike has been sitting I would suspect rust in the tank. inspect what's going on and why that fuel pump filter clogged up so rapidly. There may be more problems than just the pump.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've now got the parts ordered and they should arrive Friday. Ill look into doing the bypass next time around. I do have one more question since you brought it up. I have looked into chemicals for cleaning the gas tank, but I'm curious which route to take. As far as simple things go, I've had people tell me about using 99% isopropyl alcohol in the tank and my automotive professor suggested using clean gas to shake around in the tank. I would like to believe that that'd do the trick, but I have a feeling that theirs something better i could do to help flush the tank and prevent future filter issues. What would y'all recommend for this procedure?
post #9 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

You need to take the pump out and see what's going on. If there is rust then the process is much different then if there is just water and muck in there. Those you can just clean out.

I would not shake or do anything until the pump is out. You can empty most of the contents by running the pump, either repeated ignition switch activation or hotwiring the pump.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #10 of 25 Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
At this time I have the gas tank off and the fuel pump out and stored, with the fuel pump hole in the tank covered. I wont be able to check it back out till i make it back to the garage Friday night or Saturday. Ill let you know what I find and report back, hopefully with pictures. I was looking for something to throw in the tank for it to sit overnight, but i didn't have the time to do a proper inspection and just made the point to get the pump out for repairs this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode