Saddlemen Track CF seat question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Saddlemen Track CF seat question

I was looking at getting rid of the wee and getting a different bike. On a dinner ride with friends, I realized that I still like the Wee a lot. It is a great bike, BUT lately (as I get older) I am finding it is not as comfortable.
I am finding that the s OEM seat that never used to bother me has now become a comfort issue. It was never really comfortable for me, but it was bearable, until now.
I am looking at the Saddlemen Track CF seat as I like the center relief channel (due to prostate issues).
Looking for answers from those who have the Track CF seat. Does the Track CF have a flatter profile that does not have a slope toward the fuel tank like the OEM? With the OEM seat, I feel that I am constantly sliding toward the fuel tank.
Thanks

Bob
Montoursville, PA

2011 V-Strom 650 ABS - Pearl White
Farkles:
SW-Motech Crash Guards; Bestem 2012 Top Case in white; Cramp Buster, Madstad Bracket, Suzuki OEM Hand Guards; Stebel Horn; EB H4 relay kit, EB PC-8 Fuse Panel, Gears Explorer Tank Bag, Richland Rick mirror extenders, ATV seat protector, Nelson Rigg CL-850 Bags, LED Fog lights. Signal Dynamics Back Off brake light modulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm subscribing because I couldn't find one good review for these seats...I'm a corbin guy myself but I was intrigued by the channel, although I don't currently have any issues sitting on most seats except that they all suck and crush my balls and burn my ass lol

There is nothing new under the sun
But motorcycles are a lot of fun
post #3 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I understand. The more I read and research, the more confused I get. I have seen good as well as bad reviews for Saddleman (as well as other manufacturers). I need to do something as it is becoming painful to sit on the OEM seat.
I have a Cloud 9 bicycle seat that is manufactured with a center channel, like the Saddleman. It has helped me stay on my bicycle longer. It was $50 and it was money well spent.
I would love a Russel day long but at this point, that is out of my reach. So far, the Saddleman seems to be an alternative

Bob
Montoursville, PA

2011 V-Strom 650 ABS - Pearl White
Farkles:
SW-Motech Crash Guards; Bestem 2012 Top Case in white; Cramp Buster, Madstad Bracket, Suzuki OEM Hand Guards; Stebel Horn; EB H4 relay kit, EB PC-8 Fuse Panel, Gears Explorer Tank Bag, Richland Rick mirror extenders, ATV seat protector, Nelson Rigg CL-850 Bags, LED Fog lights. Signal Dynamics Back Off brake light modulator.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have had a Saddlemen Track CF on my 2010 Wee for at least the last 5 years. I found that the OEM sacked out and was uncomfortable.
The Track CF is completely different. As they said, it was initially very firm. With use this did ease a little but it is still quite firm. The old seat locked me in one place, on this one I can move around.

With use it has never sacked out. With it I am still sitting an inch or more higher. Possibly something to keep in mind for those with shorter legs.

It is also much heavier, and well made than the stocker. Fibreglass base I think.

Straight away I was able to ride much longer without discomfort. The channel does seem to work, or perhaps it is the firmer, flatter surface. Look here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ur-seat-3.html

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

You are sliding into the tank because of the design of the bike. You are basically sitting in a padded soup bowel with you ass on the far slope furthest from the tank. I suffered with the same problem, so discouraged, did every possible thing. Problem for me was my two sit bones would ache after about 20 min , regardless of padding. Air Hawk gave me maybe an extra half hour but not much more. Getting back home from any drive was a nightmare. I had the seat professionally rebuilt with a product ( Pro Poly ) that is used for long distance truck drivers and people who are in wheel chairs and permanently bed ridden. This product has a great success rate and it eliminated bed pressure sores so perfect for my purpose but didn't seem to help much. That's when I realized that for me, no mater what I put in , I was doomed. But ---
I found the answer and it cost me about 5 dollars. I drastically changed the soup bowel design. One night while searching for a solution to sore Ischium bones ( sit bones) I stumbled upon an American inventor named Craig Vetter who shared his invention called the "Magic Seat Board" at a 2010 Iron Butt conference held in Denver . At first I thought it was a joke. He included a pattern on how to make this simple device. As he stated, " It is no joke" and he was right. This simple device transfers about 80% of the sit down weight to the upper thighs taking most of the weight of the sit bones which was my specific problem , and also stopped the sliding into the tank issue. My maximum time to ride prior to using this was maybe an hour , and a very painful one at that. Wednesday I rode over 4 hours straight with 0 pain , none!! It's almost unbelievable. I absolutely love my bike now because I can now plan actual camping trips! There is a small down side though. If you are not careful you can get yourself into trouble pretty quick so there is a learning curve on how to use this. This will probably never be sold as a mass production product as the lawsuits would never stop. Needless to sat it is only for very disciplined long distance riders. i modified mine to be used anywhere and it works. Google "Vetter Magic Seat Board" if interested. I can only speak for myself but absolutely fantastic cure for uncomfortable motorcycle seat.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I had one of the Saddlemen seats and could never get comfortable on it. I tried Seat Concepts and I'm pretty happy with it.

2014 650 Strom
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Here's my experience with ALL motorcycle seats:

Since there no two human 'backsides' exactly the same, the only way I found to determine if any seat works for me is to test ride with them in place. What I try to do is find local riders of the same bike that are willing to let me test ride aftermarket seats on my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 cents worth.jpg (15.0 KB, 2 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psp501 View Post
I understand. The more I read and research, the more confused I get. I have seen good as well as bad reviews for Saddleman (as well as other manufacturers). I need to do something as it is becoming painful to sit on the OEM seat.
I have a Cloud 9 bicycle seat that is manufactured with a center channel, like the Saddleman. It has helped me stay on my bicycle longer. It was $50 and it was money well spent.
I would love a Russel day long but at this point, that is out of my reach. So far, the Saddleman seems to be an alternative
From my prospective, if you love your bike you should consider a custom remake of your own seat. Chasing the online reviews by people who's butts you've never seen is a steep hill to climb.

IMO: A high traction fabric seat cover and traction tank knee pads really reduces fatigue for every part of your body, neck, arms, waist, butt and balls. Next, you locate and mark the oval area that your personal sit bones contact. Cut out the OEM foam there and replace it (inlay) with multi layers of densities of new foam. If your butt is wide enough to be near the edges of the seat widen the foam with fairly stiff (foundational) foam. Next, if your nuts are a issue Rick Richland pointed out the advantage of cutting a slot (trough) in that area of the foam.

If you don't want to do it yourself there are talented people near you who can do it for you and it will not exceed the price of a store bought seat. You end up with a custom seat and get to stay out of the seat lottery.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've been enjoying my Saddlemen Adventure Track seat for a few years now (4 or 5 years?) - its essentially the same seat without the water absorbing faux-suede (I have to treat it with silicone to keep it dry - a bit of a PITA). I hated the stock seat after about 45 minutes of riding - too soft and hurt my sit-bones. I went with a Rick Mayer custom saddle - it's more of a tractor seat bucket style saddle. While very supportive, it crushed my nuts on the 'saddle horn' and locked me into one spot. Being stuck in one spot drove me insane - and the nut mash didn't help either. So.....I went completely the other way with the Saddlemen AT. It's been great. I can squirm around, forward, back, side to side all day long. And, the channel does allow air circulation under your undercarriage - but, it will hold water if it rains, so carry a little paper towel to remove the accumulated moisture. Sure, I get saddle sore after about 2 hours of solid riding, but it's more of a whole body thing - I'm not that tough apparently - I'd prefer to lean back as if I were on a chopper with my feet up and leaning back on a duffel (I've set up my vstrom to do this for long rides using highway pegs and a duffel). No matter what the seat, your butt will get zapped from sitting on it all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vstrom er (2).jpg (612.4 KB, 4 views)

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode