Charging two batteries? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Charging two batteries?

Is it possible to charge two batteries at once? I need to run my CPAP machine when I'm camping but a lithium CPAP battery costs $200-$300++. I'm wondering if I can just buy a second powersport battery @ Walmart for <$50 to run my CPAP overnight and then run a lead from my regular battery during the day to charge it back up. I could swap them out each morning but that would be a bit of a PIA if I can avoid it. Much easier just to carry the second battery in my pannier and run a lead from my battery tender lead but will this overload the charging system?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You would need to do it like the 4x4 and caravan guys do it. They put a switch in the system that isolates the second battery when the motor isn't running so that you can drain the aux battery without leaving yourself stranded, but also restrict the charging current to it so that the inrush into a dead battery doesn't overload the charging system. The electrics in these bikes are not overly sophisticated, and for normal bike use they don't need to be. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's a lot more expensive than just hooking a second battery up in parallel with the normal one.
You might be able to get a small charger than plugs into an aux socket, which would be the easiest solution that doesn't cause substantial fire risk.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #3 of 43 Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You can charge two at once it is just going to take twice as long. I have a CPAP too and camping I either run a honda 2000i generator or run an inverter from the car battery. A motorcycle battery isn't going to have enough juice to last the night. And make sure you turn your humidifier off on the CPAP or it will suck that battery empty in just a few hours. During the day I either run a charger from the generator, put a solar charger on it or drive.

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike

post #4 of 43 Old 07-10-2019, 11:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermarkfoster View Post
You can charge two at once it is just going to take twice as long. I have a CPAP too and camping I either run a honda 2000i generator or run an inverter from the car battery. A motorcycle battery isn't going to have enough juice to last the night. And make sure you turn your humidifier off on the CPAP or it will suck that battery empty in just a few hours. During the day I either run a charger from the generator, put a solar charger on it or drive.
You run your car or a generator ALL NIGHT when you're camping?
post #5 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

One problem is a lead acid battery doesn't like being repeatedly run flat. If the CPAP is running it completely down it wont last long. A deep cycle battery would be better but I'm not sure they make small ones. You wont be charging two batteries as the bike battery will be fully charged less a start. Perhaps a small intelligent charger like a NOCO and a campground where you can plug it in somewhere would work better. Plug it in in the morning till you leave then finish charging it when you get to your next site.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #6 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thx but the second battery won't be connected except for charging. I'll carry it just to power my CPAP overnight and then charge it during the day as I ride
post #7 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermarkfoster View Post
This is great, and similar to what I've tried for car camping, but for MC camping it's not practical. I don't mind how long it takes because when I'm on a MC camping trip I ride at least 6-8 hours a day - I just want to check to make sure it's not hard on the charhging system or the main battery
post #8 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rider View Post
One problem is a lead acid battery doesn't like being repeatedly run flat. If the CPAP is running it completely down it wont last long. A deep cycle battery would be better but I'm not sure they make small ones. You wont be charging two batteries as the bike battery will be fully charged less a start. Perhaps a small intelligent charger like a NOCO and a campground where you can plug it in somewhere would work better. Plug it in in the morning till you leave then finish charging it when you get to your next site.
Good advice but a lot of the state/FS campsites don't have power. My travel CPAP is really small and doesn't have a humidifier and I'm hoping I can get at least 6 hours out of a powersport battery. I can buy a battery at WM for <$50 and if it lasts for a week I'm OK with tossing it at the end of a seven-day trip. I'm just worried about charging it during the day as a second battery hooked up to my primary battery
post #9 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a co-worker that hated his CPAP machine. He found a dental alternative that works the same. From what he heard, its about a 50% chance it'll work for each person. The dentist does a custom fitting, then has the device built to your mouth. You put it in at night and it opens up your passage and he gets a full night's sleep. As an added bonus, it doesn't use any electricity and is much easier to clean/maintain. Might be a better alternative.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...-sleep-apnea#1

Good luck!

post #10 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, you could charge a second battery. Won't be harder on the charging system in any way I know of.

BUT...you MUST be careful. While the battery likely won't be fully discharged it will still be low. That means you will be moving quite a bit of current to it. Meaning you need to use heavier gauge wire than you might first think of using. Battery tender size wire won't cut it. Could overheat the wiring.

It is exceedingly rare for a dental appliance to actual reduce sleep apnea events to an acceptable level. If you are having trouble with cpap, there is help. Once you get it figured out, it isn't so bad. No need to be kept awake fighting the system or dealing with sore skin from masks. Go to your Doctor and likely their eyes will glaze over when asking about cpap help. They have automated responses and not much beyond that. If I had to use what was first brought to me ( at very high costs ) to use I probably would have not kept with it. Learn from others. Here is a CPAP Forum that is a good place to start. Or pm/e-mail me, I would be glad to help. The difference this makes in how you feel is worth the trouble to optimize the therapy so it works for you.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode