Having trouble replacing my gear shift foot lever - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Having trouble replacing my gear shift foot lever

I’m not all that mechanical to be honest, so please take it easy on me as I know I’m making this job harder than it needs to be.

Broke my shift lever and just got the replacement part in yesterday, but can’t seems to figure out how to get the old one off. It’s not a traditional nut like my dirt bikes I’ve replaced, so am having trouble. I don’t want to ruin this seal but am not sure how to get it off without tearing it to pieces. Could somebody tell me how stupid I am and how this seal comes off so I can put the new lever on?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my stupid question. Pic attached below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3752F985-A5A8-425B-9125-E8D7A9EFB650_1562526246927.jpg (337.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks to me like its held on with a snap ring. It's that little horseshoe shaped clip with the two holes at each end. If you have snap ring pliers you spread the ring apart and slip it over the end of the shaft. It can be removed without snap ring pliers but you run the risk if it being flung across the room and getting lost.
Gert, Brockie, hoggdoc and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

From the part diagram, https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/.../gear-shifting, you can have a clearer view of how the gear shift parts are assembled / fitted together.
A sir-clip / snap ring pliers makes life so much easier in working with the clip. Just remember when using the pilers, open the clip wide enough to slide it off the perch. Do not use excessive force when opening the clip or you could easily deform it so that it will not clamp again. Press the gearshift lever in towards the bike, to give a bit of clearance.
scab likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
What you really need is a pair of snap ring pliers. Fine screwdrivers and needle nose pliers might work, but as gdrew says, it may end up being flung anywhere. The snap ring sits in a groove in the shifter shaft, preventing the lever from sliding off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap ring pliers.jpg (11.5 KB, 80 views)
scab and Motorpsychology like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 05:02 AM
$tromtrooper

https://www.harborfreight.com/snap-r...ads-63845.html

Or post up your location, maybe you are near another inmate that can ride by and give you a hand.
scab and Motorpsychology like this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #6 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Don't damage the snap ring by over stretching it. The ring should be perfectly flat after you remove it. Remove carefully, holding you finger over it so it doesn't go flying. Clean the groove, & grease the pivot shaft.

2007 DL 650 with assorted upgrades
post #7 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
THIS is why this is a great forum. People here genuinely want to help.
Motorpsychology likes this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

And remember that snap ring is the same color as asphalt. If you drop it on pavement you will need a rolling magnet to find it.

These instructions may help. They show how to remove the gear shift and all those cautions above about not overstretching the ring are right on the money.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/gear-s...tructions.html
Gert and K9 Wee like this.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Start collecting tools.

I would start by reviewing the links others have provided to determine if you think this is a job you feel confident in taking on. It really is straightforward, and you shouldn't have any insurmountable problems. Next, A trip to your local hardware store, big box home improvement auto or tool section, or an auto parts store for a pair of snap ring pliers (also called circlip or retaining ring) similar to the ones that @Brockie pictured. Amazon has them starting around $8US & up. Removal and re-installing the clips is so much easier with the right tool. You may eventually want to dive into wheel and steering stem bearings and they also commonly have this type of retainer.

Today snap-ring pliers. Tomorrow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dad2ad32b8addfac738e60c38ea989d.jpg (111.6 KB, 2 views)
Gert likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #10 of 16 Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpsychology View Post
I would start by reviewing the links others have provided to determine if you think this is a job you feel confident in taking on. It really is straightforward, and you shouldn't have any insurmountable problems. Next, A trip to your local hardware store, big box home improvement auto or tool section, or an auto parts store for a pair of snap ring pliers (also called circlip or retaining ring) similar to the ones that @Brockie pictured. Amazon has them starting around $8US & up. Removal and re-installing the clips is so much easier with the right tool. You may eventually want to dive into wheel and steering stem bearings and they also commonly have this type of retainer.

Today snap-ring pliers. Tomorrow...
I see no problem with this

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode