Electrical gremlins??? 2007 wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Electrical gremlins??? 2007 wee

2007 wee strom. 64k on the odometer

Having a problem with the headlight. At start up and idle there are no issues. Headlight is on. Dim or brights. No problem

Upon driving the headlights are now disappearing. I haven’t taken notice of rear light. Instrument panel stays lit

Stop the bike and put it in neutral and headlights come back on. Weird

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sounds very much like the well-known issue with the contacts in the starter switch on the right handlebar. Switch has small low-amperage contacts that act as an interrupt switch to kill the headlights when the starter switch is pressed. Years of use cause arcing and burning of these contacts which results in glitchy headlight operation. The short-term fix is to disassemble the switch pod and clean the contacts. The long-term fix is to install the Eastern Beaver relays for the headlight circuit. Easy to do and a high-quality piece of aftermarket stuff--highly recommended!

H4 Kits
Big B, blaustrom and notacop like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Toss out the H4's and get some LED's. I got a pair for $25 from a Chinese source. Easy installation. I got the EB cut out switch to turn off one headlight from this forum, like a lot of the stuff I buy.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the inputs I really enjoy this bike so I want to get it back on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1591933-9315-4636-B663-35648ED9CA65_1562554249677.jpg (648.4 KB, 4 views)
post #5 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 01:17 AM
$tromtrooper

post #6 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If that happens the same way every time you have a very unusual situation.

Does it happen the same way every time ?

Can you tell us if the bike has a relay fitted to power the headlights, (being a 07 there is a big chance it has been done).

Does anything change when you apply front or rear brakes ?

Do the brake light & tail light work with the headlight on or off ?

First thing you should check is your battery terminals are clean and tight, they do work loose on bikes very easily and unlike a car it may not stop the bike from starting.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 05:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I added a couple of relays to mine, for both low and high beam, with a separate 12V directly from the battery. The light was noticeably brighter after the change. I have also added a couple of DRL's for increased visibility.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I’ll be back home to the bike shortly and I’ll do some better diagnosing hopefully for everyone. As of now though yes it has been the same situation now the two times I’ve gone to leave at dawn for work. Around the block in darkness and then put in neutral to open garage door with the headlights on
post #9 of 19 Old 07-21-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have forgot to reply again. Apologies to anyone who was interested in this thread.
Long story short is I am still at a loss as to what happened. This was two days in a row as stated. I tested connectors. Cleaned wiring ends. Etc etc etc. I came up with no real world solution as to what caused this. And I haven’t had it happen again since and that’s with a couple thousand miles

I don’t like not finding the issues at fault and sure I could test more but as of now it is back to operating correctly

Almost at 67k on her now. What a joy to ride. I do want to get different bars so I’ll ask about that in a new thread

Thanks
Gert likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

First try a product called "Deoxit D5". Its a product to clean electrical contacts. Youll find it at a music/guitar store. They use it to clean the pickups. If that doesn't work get a new switch off ebay. The LED bulbs off ebay are terrific. I replaced my H4's and can't believe the difference. They also draw a fraction of the amps a halogen or incandescent bulb draws. This is one of the very few problems with the 650 vstrom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode