OEM heated grips issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

OEM heated grips issue

Hi,

Hi, I have a 2010 v Strom 650 with 25k on the clock. I'm looking for a bit of advice with the OEM heated grips, they will come on and heat but once you are out on the road and the revs go up, the grips go off, I think there might be some sort of voltage overload. Has anyone had this experience and what did you do to fix it.
Would it be possible to swap out the control with an Oxford control and let the grips and wiring in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Are you certain that the increase in cold inflicted on the metal handlebar (at speed) is not the one sucking away the heat from the heated grips? That what happens in my case especially when riding in below 5C ambient temperatures. The grips are still working but I don't feel it working.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Perhaps this hand guard mod may help keep the wind / cold off the grips, so that the heated grips can get a chance to do it's job, Alain27 - extensions supérieures de pares mains

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosk View Post
Hi,

Hi, I have a 2010 v Strom 650 with 25k on the clock. I'm looking for a bit of advice with the OEM heated grips, they will come on and heat but once you are out on the road and the revs go up, the grips go off, I think there might be some sort of voltage overload. Has anyone had this experience and what did you do to fix it.

I have the OEM grips and for me they have worked very in low temps. If anything, they are too hot with thinner gloves.

The problem that you’re describing is actually a feature according to the Suzuki heater set installation and user instruction book:

Note: The grip heater has a built-in automatic switch to avoid unnecessary battery power consumption. The automatic switch turns off (the) grip heater when engine speed becomes lower at engine idling speed. Hen engine speed increases, the automatic switch turns on (the) grip heater.

Pushing the switch will not turn on the grip heater when the engine speed is low. Increase the engine speed and push the switch again to turn on the grip heater.

HTH

M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for replying, temperatures are around 17 degrees Celsius at the moment so there is no heat being drawn to the bars. I understand the grips switch off at idle, it definitely doesn't come on at normal driving speeds, l can press the switch and all lights come on, at idle it flashes.

I think it's definitely some voltage overload, that's why I'm thinking of just changing the regulator to Oxford
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just to clarify, when I'm filtering through traffic at low speeds they work and get hot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode