Advice on a new horn and lights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Advice on a new horn and lights

I want to add a new horn and lights to my new to me 09, primarily for safety. I would like a horn that would be a direct replacement for the stock horn, if such a thing exists.

As far as lights, I am thinking some cheap amazon LEDs mounted on the crashbars would suffice. I don't feel like I need a switch, which I guess means I don't need any ridiculous lumens. Running lights I guess. My question is how would I wire them so they turn on and off with the bike? I have limited experience with vehicle wiring, just a few car stereos back in the day.

I found these mounts in another thread here I believe. Possible mounts:

*Can't post links because of my newness. It was a cheap $11.99 mount*

TIA for any suggestions on horns or lights! I am on a budget, the wife is already grumpy about the bike, helmet, jacket, boots. . .

2009 DL650
2011 TTR-230
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

There are MANY thread about horns and lights.

Horn Info: https://www.google.com/search?source...99.OciQGtlXpdo

Lights: I would run it of the battery or better a switched source that come on when the ignition is on and include an on/ off switch. There will be situations where you want to be able to turn them off.
CCTigers likes this.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You say you want them for safety, but do you want to see or be seen? What you do with your lights can be very different. With any aux lights some places have legal requirements for master on/off switches so they can be turned off if a relay fails and sticks on rather than blinding other traffic.

Horns are a bit like lights in that the more powerful the horn is the more current it needs to work properly. If you put really good horns on the bike you could well need to wire them through a relay, with heavier cables, from the battery.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime

post #4 of 14 Old 06-28-2019, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
@CCTigers : If they are just simple 4 or 5watt led markers, you could wire them into, or use, the accessory pigtails. not sure on your model, but I believe that circuit carries a 10 amp fuse, and would be switched. Be mindful of total current draw thru that circuit- any heated grips or clothing already on that circuit? Anything with real power draw, like driving or fog lights should be run thru a relay.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #5 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Hello CCTigers:

I would recommend https://www.rigidindustries.com/ and a decent Low tone horn.

Don't cheap out on the lighting trust me oh and the horn is a PITA to get to.
CCTigers likes this.

Never Allow The Radical Views Of The Few To Infringe On The Constitutional Rights Of The Many
post #6 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for all of the replies, about to go for a ride, will respond after!

2009 DL650
2011 TTR-230
post #7 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 10:57 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
For a horn, I installed a Stebel under the left front tupperware, it's loud. It's worked great for about 11 years.

For front conspicuity lights, I installed yellow Skene Design Photon Blasters on the lower forks. The controller also includes front turn signals too. I did have to replace the left led light pod after 4 years as several leds quit working, but other than that they have worked great.

For the rear, I installed an Admore SMT light bar (modulating brake light and rear progressive turn signals). Performed flawlessly for 5 years.

YMMV
CCTigers likes this.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
post #8 of 14 Old 06-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

post #9 of 14 Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks again for all of the advice. I am primarily looking for lights to improve my visibility to other drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalky Tracker View Post
For a horn, I installed a Stebel under the left front tupperware, it's loud. It's worked great for about 11 years.

For front conspicuity lights, I installed yellow Skene Design Photon Blasters on the lower forks. The controller also includes front turn signals too. I did have to replace the left led light pod after 4 years as several leds quit working, but other than that they have worked great.

For the rear, I installed an Admore SMT light bar (modulating brake light and rear progressive turn signals). Performed flawlessly for 5 years.

YMMV
@Stalky Tracker the Skene Photon Blasters look great.

Here was a pretty good video I found: can't post the link (grr) search youtube "Skene Design Photon Blasters / P3 lights"

Do you have just the turn signal option or the alert & turn signal?

Can't post the online store page either.

They are backordered on the amber lights, but it looks like the turn signal option is available?

Also, I had a great ride in the Vicksburg, MS National Military Park. $15 entry for a motorcycle, 16+ miles, mostly one way traffic, tree-lined, hills & twistys. Definitely recommend if you come through the area.

2009 DL650
2011 TTR-230
post #10 of 14 Old 07-01-2019, 06:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCTigers View Post
Thanks again for all of the advice. I am primarily looking for lights to improve my visibility to other drivers.

@Stalky Tracker the Skene Photon Blasters look great.

Here was a pretty good video I found: can't post the link (grr) search youtube "Skene Design Photon Blasters / P3 lights"

Do you have just the turn signal option or the alert & turn signal?

Can't post the online store page either.

They are backordered on the amber lights, but it looks like the turn signal option is available?

Also, I had a great ride in the Vicksburg, MS National Military Park. $15 entry for a motorcycle, 16+ miles, mostly one way traffic, tree-lined, hills & twistys. Definitely recommend if you come through the area.
I have the turn signal option. I really like the amber, I think they stand out more. But maybe that's just me.

Ya, Vicksburg National Military Park is nice ride and lots of history there. Did you stop at the USS Cairo and walk through it? I was there several years ago and had the Cairo all to myself.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode