Sourcing Front Wheel - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sourcing Front Wheel

Hey people,

I'm looking to pick up a new front rim/front wheel for my 2005 DL650 with 65,000 miles. This bike was purchased used by me a few months ago and I just got back from a 2500 mile trip on which I noticed a decent bit of front end wobble around 30-45 mph. The wobble is easily controllable but is noticeable.

I went to a mechanic who pulled the wheel and pronounced it slightly bent but safe to ride on with caution. He showed me the bend in the rim and it is quite obvious.

I'd like to sell this bike eventually, however, and don't feel right doing so with a bent rim.

I looked around a bit and found these threads, but I don't think they are particularly what I'm looking for:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...version-2.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ment-help.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ng-bike-3.html

Basically, I'm trying not to get gouged on the price for this. All the ebay sellers and parts dealers online want $440-$530 for a front rim. I only paid $1800 for the bike so I'd like to keep the cost of this repair <$300 if possible.

Anybody know where a guy can get a non-bent 2005 DL650 front rim for a reasonable price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Unable to help there, but have you spoken to any of the mag wheel repairers? It may be possible to straighten out, if only slightly out of shape. There are some extremely talented craftsmen that straighten all sorts of motor vehicle damaged rims.
NVDucati likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnat96 View Post
Hey people,
I'm looking to pick up a new front rim/front wheel for my 2005 DL650
Your profile doesn't say whereabouts you are. You might start out by determining which other model years (or other models) have the same wheel in order to broaden your prospects. (remember that the rotors need to fit)

Then check out motorcycle salvage yards. Once you have located the wheel (as a back up) ... give the rim straightener a shot.
notacop likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]

post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

David Moore in Apple Valley, Ca repaired some BMW rims for me and was a lot less expensive than sourcing a new rim.
The repair guys can make them good as new.
I've ridden on a rim with a dent but never noticed a handling issue.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM
$tromtrooper

There are shops that can repair the rim.
I've used this guy. https://www.gpframeandwheel.com/
Reasonably priced and a quick turn, no pun intended.
NVDucati likes this.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
miles smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
There are shops that can repair the rim.
I've used this guy. https://www.gpframeandwheel.com/
Reasonably priced and a quick turn, no pun intended.
True That (pun intended).
I have dealt with him, Gerry Piazza, for many years. He is may not be the only guy to go to for frame and wheel repair but he is the real deal.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the input. I'd love to use that guy in Sacramento but I am located in North Carolina and for the cost of shipping I may as well just buy a new wheel. I'm going to look around a bit here in the Charlotte area though for a wheel straightening service, I hadn't even thought of that previously. Thanks!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 AM
$tromtrooper

I would just be upfront about it when selling. Like you said, the bikes value is pretty low, so a dented rim won't make much difference in price.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm just not really sure anyone would buy in my area with a dented rim like that, even for $1000-$1500, and nobody near me is willing to try to straighten it. I've asked several shops.

I've decided it would be worth my time to put a new rim on it and then sell it for $2000 or maybe a bit more if I can manage, and not have to go through the hassle of explaining a bent wheel and scaring buyers away.

I was able to find a used rim on Ebay for $300, which was around what I was looking to spend, and I'll pull the wheel myself and just have a shop swap the tire over.

Pretty much just want to get the cost of the engagement ring I'm about to buy out of this thing. I think I can make it happen.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode