DL650 2007 running on one cylinder below 3000rpm - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gert
  • 1 Post By varglesnarg
  • 1 Post By Gert
  • 1 Post By prev109

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

DL650 2007 running on one cylinder below 3000rpm

Hi, my '07 bike starts fine and runs on both cylinders until I go for a blast, then it only runs on the front cylinder below 3000 - 4000rpm ish, above 3000rpm it runs on both cylinders and pulls just fine. I've stripped back the loom to check the crimp connection for the injector positive wires which were in good condition - I soldered them together to remove this possibility, but its still the same. The rear plug is still sparking when the issue occurs (removed plug cap on tickover and inserted spare plug to check)
Has anyone had the same issue and resolved it?
Advice appreciated
Cheers
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 04:38 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Your K7 will have 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so inspect the condition of all 4. Have you tested the spray pattern of the injectors themselves? There are a few how to videos, if you search on-line.
prev109 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hi thanks for the tip, will have a look at the injector videos. I've mistakenly said its a 2007, its a 2005 with single plug per cylinder, doh...

post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

a while ago i had the same problem. And it turned out it was really simple. The sparkplug wire came loose. I pushed it back in and it was fine. Apparently with vibration it wouuld work fine while moving a bit, then would lose power. And it was just that , a loose sparkplug wire.
prev109 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2019, 04:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Andy, have you had a chance to investigate further? If so, care to share your findings?
prev109 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-21-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hi there, apologies for the delay in replying, it turned out the rear plug was breaking down when hot, another replacement fitted and it runs fine, just been out today for 40 miles and no missing at all... If anyone can use my experience to sort a similar problem quicker, it started from cold fine and revved fine, symptoms were only occuring after giving it a quick run and then it would only pick up on both cylinders above 3k.
I had a cheap handheld laser digital thermometer which I aimed at the headers to ID which cylinder was not running, approx temps of the none running header were 80 degrees C and 300 ish for the running cylinder
Thanks for your advice, which without a doubt helped sort it out.
Cheers
Andy
Gert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode