Need to clean headlights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Need to clean headlights

Ok, I'm looking at the headlights on my 07 wee and the inside of the clear 'glass' is dirty. And the headlight reflectors are also grungy. How far do I have to tear this thing down to get the lens covers off to clean them and the reflectors! Tried the 'rag on a stick' thing and it only marginally helped. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Many of these sealed units use a form of hot glue during assembly.
With a heat gun at a safe distance you MAY be able to take them apart for cleaning. This was a common operation at my dealership when cars came in with broken lenses but the lamp body was OK. Then we'd use a hot glue gun and stick for reassembly. Or...you could just replace the lamps at a higher cost.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

After a crash I found a headlight bucket on Ebay, someplace in Florida, for about $250. It was brand new.
That was 8 years ago.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The headlight bucket does not appear to be sealed. Honestly the lens looks to be separate with a gap between it and the reflector. It looked to me that I outer clear lens would remove (probably after more faring removal than I would like) and could then be cleaned on the inside, and the reflector cleaned. Did I mention that this bike was outside, lying on it's side, during Hurricane Harvey.....so the reflectors appear to have some 'hard water' type grunge on them. Maybe replacement would be best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode