Fork seals - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fork seals

I made a video on doing fork seals on the dl650. I previously did the seals with all balls, my right fork started leaking 10k into it, so i don tknow if im just hitting too many speed bumps at high speeds or if its a fault kit. But this time i went with another kit 30$. Im always amazed that shops charge so much for this work. Hopefully this video can help someone who is doing their fork seals.
gwc, Dragon Rider, om28 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Thanks, I may have to do this soon, this helps.

09 DL650A
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Not many aftermarket fork seals are as good as OEM. Also try some neoprene gaiters on your forks....keeps the grit away.
http://www.nojgear.com/NOJ_Neoprene_.../fgnl01-01.htm
kd70qc likes this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Hi varglesnarg,

I had the same experience with the All Balls fork seals kit (toast in under 10k), I'm not shy in my opinion that All Balls sucks.

When I rebuilt my forks for the second time, I used Honda seals. Part # 51644-12C00 includes the seal and dust wiper for one leg so two of the part number are needed. They're still in my bike over 60,000 miles later.

I don't have boots, but I do wipe the bugs and dirt off regularly.
varglesnarg likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the video. I will need it this winter for when the bike is down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Fork seals are nothing more than double or single lip ends shaft seals. Suzuki or and of the other motorcycle manufacturers make their own so they out source to places like SKF, TCM that make quality or you can go online and find price point manufactured stuff like All Balls buys, repackages and resells at a big markup.

On the end shaft seal just like bearing or bearing dust covers (these also happen to be end shaft seals) there are 3 numbers stamped on them.

I.D.
O.D.
Thickness

Once you know this you can look up know quality stuff like SKF or TCM and buy "end shaft seals" and save money and get as good or better quality than OEM.
varglesnarg likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-20-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Hi varglesnarg,

I had the same experience with the All Balls fork seals kit (toast in under 10k), I'm not shy in my opinion that All Balls sucks.

When I rebuilt my forks for the second time, I used Honda seals. Part # 51644-12C00 includes the seal and dust wiper for one leg so two of the part number are needed. They're still in my bike over 60,000 miles later.

I don't have boots, but I do wipe the bugs and dirt off regularly.
yeah im going to avoid all balls too. I think i only bought them because of the name. Good marketing they got going i guess.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2019, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Fork seals are nothing more than double or single lip ends shaft seals. Suzuki or and of the other motorcycle manufacturers make their own so they out source to places like SKF, TCM that make quality or you can go online and find price point manufactured stuff like All Balls buys, repackages and resells at a big markup.

On the end shaft seal just like bearing or bearing dust covers (these also happen to be end shaft seals) there are 3 numbers stamped on them.

I.D.
O.D.
Thickness

Once you know this you can look up know quality stuff like SKF or TCM and buy "end shaft seals" and save money and get as good or better quality than OEM.

Ok here is my lazy guy question of the day.......does anyone have a fork seal sitting around that they can look at and find those numbers? I like to have the parts on hand so down time is minimal.

If not, ill spend the $ on OEM and write down the sizes so I can order end shaft seals next time

either way, thanks! This is good to know
post #9 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I got my fork parts from the local Kawi/Honda shop. Factory stuff and they seem to be working fine. About 80 dollars for the set. I wasn't trying to get in on the cheap.
The local Power Shop seems to get me what i need without much effort. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonray View Post
Ok here is my lazy guy question of the day.......does anyone have a fork seal sitting around that they can look at and find those numbers? I like to have the parts on hand so down time is minimal.

If not, ill spend the $ on OEM and write down the sizes so I can order end shaft seals next time

either way, thanks! This is good to know
I don't have one next to me but I did a little googling. It looks like suzuki part number 51153-27G00 is a 43x54x11mm seal.

K&L on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/FORK-OIL-SEAL...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Made in Japan AND comes with the wipers. It would be silly to pay $60 more for OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode