Figuring out the controls for trail riding - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rolex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Figuring out the controls for trail riding

Anybody recommend how to figure out all of that stuff that needs to be adjusted for trail and forest service road riding while standing on the foot pegs? There's s lot to consider including handle bar height and angle and throttle and front break adjustments so I can ride with 2 fingers on each lever. Others ideas also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I always put Teflon plumbers tape under the perches of all my bikes.

This allows the gear like mirrors, clutch & brake leavers to have some give so if you crash they can move and absorb the shock, this stops you breaking leavers or master cylinders.

Having that give also means you can change their position at anytime and move them back at anytime.
notacop likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Bar risers and foot pegs make a difference in comfort.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I found that the best aid for standing while riding was lowered pegs, and the gearshift adjuster allows more room for more protective boots as well. https://www.adventuretech.biz/gear-s...extension.html

The switch blocks are located by a peg into a hole in the bars. Shorter levers/bark busters are a good if you intend to fall off.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I disagree on risers, in my opinion, if your bars are too far away then your knees aren't bent enough. You never see MX riders, rally riders etc. standing as tall as most folks seem to want to do on an adventure bike. I'm 6'3", my pegs are in the stock position, and I don't use bar risers. But this is opinion, and based on the opinion of the instructors of the courses I have taken. And there are plenty of opinions to go around. I have seen plenty of great riders, much better than me, who stand in a different position than I have been taught.

Here is a good video for setup, it will give you some good ideas on what you can do. I don't have my bike set up exactly like this, but it's a good start.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list

Last edited by vanislejay; 05-27-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You might consider some tank-knee-pads. There are several brands and various surfaces in many colors. The objective is to not only save your paint from getting scratched by the dirt on your pants. It will also give you the traction to use your knees to grip the tank. Another point of contact beyond just your feet and hands. This will reduce fatigue and enhance control.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]

Last edited by NVDucati; 05-27-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 AM
$tromtrooper

At 6'4/36" inseam and longer sleeve, risers and peg lowering was a must. I think it comes down to personal comfort. I stand a lot even on the street to stretch my legs. In technical stuff I stand with bent knees and elbows for balance and shock absorption.

Don't change a bunch of stuff at one time. Peg lowering or risers first, then ride and see how things feel.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Am 6'2"....no peg lowering or bar risers... bend knees for short duration stands, for long periods, left foot on passenger peg and right foot on rider's peg gives me good position...not shifting often while standing so works for me...right foot still able to use rear brake...good on downhills. Everbody different...bar risers and backs make cruising better for some, peg lowering good for others. Highway pegs are crucial for me when needing to stretch and will not net a ticket as some have found while standing in small towns.
Find what works for you and adopt best practices.

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode