Won't rev, bad idle, no codes!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Won't rev, bad idle, no codes!!

After sitting for a year and a half, I decided to get my 06 Wee going again. Layoff was due to a bad hip, got a new one in March. When I parked the bike in an unheated garage, I changed oil and filter, lubed the chain and the usual stuff, and filled the tank with fresh gas and a liberal dose of Sta-bil. A couple days ago, I drained and removed the gas tank, and also removed the fuel pump assembly. Pulled the pump from the mounting plate and checked the well for debris, clean. Pulled the pump from the filter and back washed the filter. Put it all back together. Removed the valve covers and dabbed assembly lube on the cam lobes. Removed spark plugs and squirted some oil into the cylinders. Spun the motor and installed new plugs. Put everything back together. I drained and put in new antifreeze. Time to start up, started easily. Only blipped the throttle a few times since I mainly just wanted it to heat up and circulate the coolant. Waited till I had 4 bars on the temp gauge, then turned off. Dark now, so I put off a ride till the next day. Rolled the bike out of the garage and washed it off using a bike wash and a gentle sprayer on a garden hose. Used a blower to get rid of excess water. Started up Sounded a bit rough but smoothed after warming up. Went to a school complex across the street to do some turns and fig 8's. Went about a mile to a gas station to fill up and then out to the highway. Accelleration seemed a bit sluggish, then I noticed my speed seemed to be limited. Heading back home I couldn't get over 55 with WOT. Bike started to run worse popping and bucking. Last 2 miles was at 15mph. Bike wouldn't rev, idle is ragged and stalls after a few minutes. I did notice when almost home the display flashing between time and FI. Parked for the night, tried to get codes the next day. Bike is no better but no codes. Tried cleaning fuel lines and injectors, no improvement. Any ideas? Replace TPS, injectors?

When in doubt, gas it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 AM
gwc
Stromthusiast!

Your story sounds a lot like mine when I found out that my front spark plug well was holding water. Only the rear cylinder was firing. This happened to me after giving my Wee a good bath and paying special attention to soaping down the engine with simple green and drying with the leaf blower.

Might want to check on this if you havenít already. I didnít get any codes but the symptoms were the same - way down on power and would barely idle.

I managed to limp home that night. After I figured out only the rear cylinder was firing I focused in on the front. I found the front plug was all rusty. Dead giveaway that the well was holding water. There is a drain hole on the right side of the bike for this about the size of a BB. There was some trash in there keeping it from draining. I blew the hole out, dried the plug off, and reinstalled with some dielectric grease. Havenít had any issues since.

Good luck man! Hope it is something easy.
Hatchi likes this.

GWC

2004 DL650
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 AM
$tromtrooper

You did a few invasive maintenance items at the same time so it might take some time to figure it out, but if it were me I would assume I made a mistake on reassembly. I would start with the fuel pump, do the volume teat and when you put the tank back on make sure you have all the hoses connected corectly. Pull the pump and double check it too.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Re: won't run

Both cylinders firing, both pipes hot. Fuel pump puts out 350cc in 10 seconds, almost twice the minimum.

When in doubt, gas it!!!
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bike ran fine when put away. Might add that I'm inclined to think it's some type of fuel problem. Revs would sometime increase when throttle rolled off, but not consistant. Should secondary throttle plates move smoothly? Should they be wide open at idle?

When in doubt, gas it!!!
post #6 of 15 Old 05-25-2019, 04:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You mention WOT, when I had a dose of bad fuel I could not build RPM's and trying WOT made things much worse, too much air not enough fuel.

Are you having a similar problem ?

Have you opened up the air box to look inside ?

When ever I bring a bike back to life that is the first place I look, paper filters are OK but after market foam filters will rot and collapse, also small animals love to build their homes in dark places.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Opened air box, cleaned and re-oiled K&N filter. Removed injectors, sprayed with carb cleaner but did not pressure flush. Will try that next. Still have same problem.

When in doubt, gas it!!!
post #8 of 15 Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

My WAG is fuel. Try new gas from another station.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these tings to other people and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books The Shoootist
post #9 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

More Info

After removing the old spark plugs, looked OK, I squirted some oil into each cylinder and spun the motor with the starter button. (plugs out, nothing grounded). I'm talking just a few 2-3 quick stabs here, not a long crank. Would this have fried something? If so, why was I able to start the motor and run through a heat cycle to "burp" the radiator with seemingly no ill effects? Trouble didn't show up until the next day after washing. Used a cleaner and a gentle spray, not a high pressure wash. Should the secondary throttle plates be open at startup? Should they pretty much stay open? Looking at the linkages, it seems so. I am going to try to clean the injectors better, and also get gas from a different station. I have a TPS on order. Won't hardly run at all now, and still no trouble codes.

When in doubt, gas it!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is quite a mystery. Based on your first post you did everything "by the book".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-S View Post
After removing the old spark plugs, looked OK, I squirted some oil into each cylinder and spun the motor with the starter button. (plugs out, nothing grounded). I'm talking just a few 2-3 quick stabs here, not a long crank. Would this have fried something? If so, why was I able to start the motor and run through a heat cycle to "burp" the radiator with seemingly no ill effects? Trouble didn't show up until the next day after washing.
WAG here. With the wires unplugged and not grounded the 50K volts (or whatever) is going to seek a ground. It may have burned a hole or found a crack through the insulation to ground. If the wires were dry then when the plugs were reinstalled the lowest resistance to ground was still through the plug so it ran fine. After washing the plug wires get wet maybe into the cracks or holes and with a damp insulator the wires are now shorting out somewhere instead of going through the plug. If you can fire it up at night or in a dark garage see if you can see any spurious sparks along the path of the spark plug wires. Also, I'd wipe down and clean the insulators with rubbing alcohol, let dry then coat with dielectric grease.

Quote:
Used a cleaner and a gentle spray, not a high pressure wash.
Not using the high pressure wash is to avoid forcing water into the bearings (mostly) in the rear suspension. Swing arm, cushion lever, dog bone bearings are all unsealed and if you hit them with high pressure water it will force out the grease and rust the bearings. With a gentle spray you may have gotten an electrical component or wires wet that is causing the problem.

Quote:
Should the secondary throttle plates be open at startup? Should they pretty much stay open? Looking at the linkages, it seems so.
The secondary throttle plates are controlled by the ECU. In prep-to-start (when the speedo needles sweep) the plates should open 100% then close 100% then open to about 10%. You can see this if you lift the tank so that would be a good thing to rule out. With the ignition key off see if you can manually move the secondary plates full open to full close to make sure nothing is binding, then turn on the ignition and see if they execute the prep-to-start sequence to rule this out as a problem.

Quote:
I am going to try to clean the injectors better, and also get gas from a different station. I have a TPS on order. Won't hardly run at all now, and still no trouble codes.
I have some injectors from a K9 for sale in the For Sale forum, PM me if you are interested. If you decide to get them cleaned I have used RC Engineering.
Motor7 likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idle , rev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode