Countershaft Spline damage - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By RLBranson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Countershaft Spline damage

Sadly the splines on my output shaft have been slowly declining. While I have the capability of dropping the motor and splitting the cases. I really don't want to. Has anyone successfully had the splines built up with weld and then filed down so the sprocket fit, while in the bike? The last sprocket and the one I put on yesterday I used a bearing sleeve retainer compound between the splines and sprocket, and then red loctite on the sprocket nut.

The other idea I have been considering is welding the nut to the sprocket.

The bike has 110,000+ miles and has led a hard life. I have a nicer/newer one sitting next to it but I really prefer riding this one as it tells a story and has a lot of sentimental value.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Condolences, I had splines go out on a clutch on a BMW but that was an easier repair.
Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

of course if you weld it on, even small welds. the heat will destroy the shaft seal. then you won't be able to replace the seal because the sprocket is welded on. I think I would try building up the splines with weld. a small amount of weld then cool the shaft with a wet rag then compressed air to cool and dry the area. slowly build up the shaft, then use a 4 inch grinder to reduce the diameter of the shaft while the engine is running in gear to grind it down evenly. then use a dremel and cut off wheel to recut the splines.

But then I am a retired welder and if your only skill is as a welder, then all problems look like welding problems.
Motor7 and Hatchi like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
of course if you weld it on, even small welds. the heat will destroy the shaft seal. then you won't be able to replace the seal because the sprocket is welded on. I think I would try building up the splines with weld. a small amount of weld then cool the shaft with a wet rag then compressed air to cool and dry the area. slowly build up the shaft, then use a 4 inch grinder to reduce the diameter of the shaft while the engine is running in gear to grind it down evenly. then use a dremel and cut off wheel to recut the splines.

But then I am a retired welder and if your only skill is as a welder, then all problems look like welding problems.
It's funny, I've been worrying about melting the seal when I've replaced it in the past! I worked for a couple years at a welding shop (operating a lathe), I think the owner would do the welding for me. I may just have him do half of the splines and focus on keeping the sprocket nut tight in the future. Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Condolences, I had splines go out on a clutch on a BMW but that was an easier repair.
Good luck.
Yea I wish this were easier! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode