StromTrooper banner

Actual vs Indicated Speed

12K views 58 replies 43 participants last post by  V-Tom 
#1 ·
I've got a K8 Wee with stock size tires. Running on the interstate yesterday, it sure seemed like my bike's speedometer was very optimistic. I have nothing solid to base this on other than the cars on the road passing me continually. The area that I rode in has a speed limit of 75 and with my speedo showing 80 I was with big trucks in the slow lane.

Is there any chart of information that someone has compiled referencing indicated vs. actual speed?

#12 ·
Mine seems to be around 4.7% high using my gps as a reference, and is consistently so from 10mph/16kmh up to an indicated 85mph/137kmh (80-81mph on gps) Haven't checked at higher speeds as I get kinda busy up there ?. When I don't have the gps mounted, I use the tach: 4500rpm in 6th= 59-60 mph/95-96kmh w/stock gearing.

#17 ·
At around 40 mph the speedo on my K7 Vee reads about 5 mph fast compared to the GPS, and more like 10 mph above 70. There's a percentage in there somewhere.

#23 ·
Actually it is an arrangement between government and manufacturers to set speedos slightly higher so to keep vehicles from going too far over the limit.

As such, a driver with no knowledge of this (most) will drive 75mph in a 70mph but they are actually travelling at 72mph.

I am not sure how it works with vehicles that have gps built-in. Does the gps and speedo disagree? I dont know.

#28 ·
Did you install it after changing your sprocket or was the bike stock?
The website says "The SpeedoDRD cannot alter your existing odometer readout. The SpeedoDRD corrects and fixes the speed signal after it was altered by something else, such as sprocket changes or tires size changes or transmission changes." I'm curious if it has any effect on a stock bike?

#24 ·
Now my curiosity is getting the best of me. Maybe time to get a GPS add on to get actual.

I noticed I was at 90mph staying in the fast lane on 417 and matching others, but it didn't feel like 90.

Course I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to exact mph, just paying attention to enjoying the ride while watching traffic and road.

The 1KXT is a great ride!

Had good torque at all speeds, and comfortable ride.

I'm 6'3", the taller ride suits me fine.

Now, if someone would do something about our current crop of love bugs....

#25 ·
My K6 Wee is about 8% off. I don't pay much attention to the speedo but rely on the GPS for actual speed.

Now my wife's 2015 Subie speedo is right on or within 1 mph. Will have to check my 2019 Tacoma.

YMMV

#34 ·
Often cars can be purchased with different size wheels EG; 16" or 17", same car different sizes so their calibrated to accommodate both wheels.

It can also come down to the individual car, I once had 2 identical Holden's, the only difference was the colour, one was spot on the other was off by 3%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.