Avg. MPG's? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By V-Tom
  • 1 Post By dmfdmf
  • 1 Post By V-Tom
  • 1 Post By Bentwee
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Niteryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CLOVIS, CA
Posts: 76
Garage
Avg. MPG's?

Having read several forum posts regarding others MPG's, I started wondering if maybe I should be concerned with my MPG. I had been using Fuelly for 3298 miles then just keeping track of my fuel fill ups with a calculator on my phone. Over 3298 miles while using Fuelly I averaged 46.1 MPG, the worst was 38.3 and the best was 60.8, which I have never come close to since, and I'm not certain that was not just an input error on my part. Just doing the calculations on my phone each time I fill up, right around 45 MPG seems to be a number I see a lot.
Maybe it is my riding habits? I don't know. I'm on the freeway most days and rarely under 75 MPH, I've thought of keeping it around 65 just to see if that makes any difference, but for some reason I just can't do it, I always have this overpowering urge to just go faster.
I'm not terribly bothered by it, but squeezing out another 5 MPG's wouldn't hurt my feelings or my wallet.

2004 DL650
Niteryder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,436
Mileage changes a lot day to day. Overall higher speeds (airspeed in particular with higher airspeed meaning worse mileage) and temperatures (lower is worse) have the most noticeable overall effects on mileage. Pretty hard to tell much else

Here is a graph of MPG over 655 fill-ups on my 2006 DL650. Over 125,787 miles I averaged 45.6 mph US. (Starts end of July of 2006 ends march of 2012)




(The dark line is the trandline of the last 5 fills.)

..Tom
Niteryder likes this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 180,000+ km, 112,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
dmfdmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 760
45-48MPG at +75MPH is not unusual. I had a 2007 and now have a 2014 DL650 and I got/get mid-forties pretty consistently on both bikes, upgrade made no difference. However, I rarely do freeways (and if I do I am running at ~80MPH) and mostly ride in the twisties and I am pretty heavy on the throttle with lots of rev'ing and shifting (for fun!).

> Clovis, CA

One thing that is cutting your mileage is the 10% ethanol gas in CA. I am in the Bay Area and non-ethanol gas is not available. Being in the Fresno area (more agricultural) there maybe stations near you that have ethanol-free gas you could try if it is not too far out of your way. It could be good for ~5-6% gain. Ethanol Free Gas Stations
Niteryder likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
dmfdmf is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Niteryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CLOVIS, CA
Posts: 76
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Mileage changes a lot day to day. Overall higher speeds (airspeed in particular with higher airspeed meaning worse mileage) and temperatures (lower is worse) have the most noticeable overall effects on mileage. Pretty hard to tell much else

Here is a graph of MPG over 655 fill-ups on my 2006 DL650. Over 125,787 miles I averaged 45.6 mph US. (Starts end of July of 2006 ends march of 2012)


(The dark line is the trandline of the last 5 fills.)

..Tom
I am impressed that you tracked and recorded 655 fill-ups over the years. Your numbers are probably far more accurate than mine, but it does seem as though your avg. MPG is on par with what I am averaging.

2004 DL650
Niteryder is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Niteryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CLOVIS, CA
Posts: 76
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
45-48MPG at +75MPH is not unusual. I had a 2007 and now have a 2014 DL650 and I got/get mid-forties pretty consistently on both bikes, upgrade made no difference. However, I rarely do freeways (and if I do I am running at ~80MPH) and mostly ride in the twisties and I am pretty heavy on the throttle with lots of rev'ing and shifting (for fun!).

> Clovis, CA

One thing that is cutting your mileage is the 10% ethanol gas in CA. I am in the Bay Area and non-ethanol gas is not available. Being in the Fresno area (more agricultural) there maybe stations near you that have ethanol-free gas you could try if it is not too far out of your way. It could be good for ~5-6% gain. Ethanol Free Gas Stations
Ethanol has been the norm here for so long I never even think about it, and I agree with you that it does affect gas mileage. I have heard many complaints about it over the years. I haven't looked at your link yet, but will do so, thank you.

2004 DL650
Niteryder is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteryder View Post
I am impressed that you tracked and recorded 655 fill-ups over the years. Your numbers are probably far more accurate than mine, but it does seem as though your avg. MPG is on par with what I am averaging.
That's what I thought.. Your mileage looked pretty normal to me.

655 fills is just for my 2006 DL650. I recorded my other Strom fill ups as well.

..Tom
Niteryder likes this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 180,000+ km, 112,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Midwest snow country
Posts: 476
Speed has a huge effecvt on dl 650 mpg. While it will cruise happily at 75 all day mileage will suffer. Ispend 99% of my riding between 65 and 40 and get a solid 55mpg. Oil usage also goes up but it seems to be thenature of the engine.
Wee Willy Winky is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 292
Over the 30K miles I've put on mine, I seem to commonly get right around 46 mpg. I've had tanks up toward 60 and into the lower 30's, but those outliers made sense under the circumstances. '04 Wee, 65K on the ODO, with highly sophisticated custom aerodynamics 😁, cancelled out by a hyperactive throttle hand.
Niteryder likes this.
Bentwee is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Niteryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CLOVIS, CA
Posts: 76
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwee View Post
highly sophisticated custom aerodynamics 😁, cancelled out by a hyperactive throttle hand.
Same problem here.

2004 DL650
Niteryder is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 05:27 PM
$tromtrooper
 
iamsmiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lost Angeles, Peoples Republic of California
Posts: 7,668
Garage
I find that running at over 6K RPMs is what affects my mileage. Keep it under 6K and it seems to make no difference if I am on the freeway in 6th or in the canyons in 3rd. Under 6K I average about 50 MPG (note: 2015 650). Over 6K it drops to 46 or so. I don't get anal about recording it but every time I gas up I run the numbers in my head and reset the trip odometer.
iamsmiling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air filter MPGs Coach23101 General V-Strom Discussion 9 07-15-2018 11:20 AM
Highway rpm, reduced mpg's.... JPilot DL650A - 2012-2016 25 10-30-2013 09:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome