3 circuit solution question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

3 circuit solution question

Hoping for a bit of advice to help out with my mistake on ordering from Eastern Beaver. I just got the headlight relay kit and the 3 circuit setup for my 2011 so as to perhaps avoid electrical issues. I must have hit the wrong button on ordering, as my 3 circuit setup doesn't have the plugs to tap into the connector under the fuel tank; darn it!

Anyhow, the generic kit has about a 2 foot lead with a blue and a black wire with no ends. Kit comes with the Posi-taps for getting the switched power to trip the relay. What is the easiest wire to tap into with this setup? I have read good reviews of the Posi-taps, but am a bit concerned about longevity. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 10:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I assume that when you refer to the connector under the tank that you are tailing about the infamous aux / heated grip connector... I'm not sure about coverage for model years and generations, but I seem to recall Greywolf mentioning that there is a "horn connector harness" that you can buy from the dealer that has the same connector as that one under the tank. Search a bit in the forums for the part number and it may work for your bike. Then you can just attach it to the universal pigtail.

Eastern beaver also sells connectors, tell him what you need and you could just order the missing ones and wire it up yourself.

I have not personally used the Posi-taps long term, but they were recommended to me by an airplane mechanic. If they are acceptable for aircraft, they will probably work well for cars too. Much better design than the standard flat cheapos... They screw closed on both ends and if they don't seal perfectly you can always put in a little dielectric grease to help.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I ordered a “special” on positap/lock “kits” and those have them all over my bike. They have been in place, like at least 10, for 4 years with zero issues. If you are going to have a connection problem it will be up front and your mistake. You will understand when you see them. I may take a few of them apart and apply Deoxit on them to freshen the connection since I have the time.

Formerly clovett but changed to my gaming name

2004 DL650 1998 DR650 1994 CB1000 1992 DR350
2004 Z400 1965 Norton 650 1984 Honda XL200
1975 Suzuki RM125 1972 Yamaha 100 enduro
1971 Honda CT90 1968 Honda Z50A

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM
$tromtrooper

I'm not sure I understand what the 3 circuit solution and a connector for the aux/heated grip connector have to do with each other?

I have both, and they are mutually exclusive in terms of their purpose.

What are you trying to do?

Two wheels for realz!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 11:31 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Switched power for the relay coil?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 11:45 AM
$tromtrooper

for switched power you could hook into the tail light circuit. posi taps are fine. I prefer posi taps/posi connectors. no need to remove any insulation from the wires as the posi taps 'puncture' it, just slice open a section of sheath to expose the wires.

I connect most accessories (like headlight relay circuit) directly to the battery but after adding a few it's not very neat looking and I'm not recommending it but it works fine for me.

14 tooth for me
post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
for switched power you could hook into the tail light circuit. posi taps are fine. I prefer posi taps/posi connectors. no need to remove any insulation from the wires as the posi taps 'puncture' it, just slice open a section of sheath to expose the wires.

I connect most accessories (like headlight relay circuit) directly to the battery but after adding a few it's not very neat looking and I'm not recommending it but it works fine for me.
Yes, and Yes. The under rear of gas tank connector that the VStrom specific kit that I meant to order has 2 plugs that tap into the rear brake light power supply wire under the rear of gas tank. One male and one female to just neatly "jumper" into that circuit. I have read about the heated grip outlet, but wasn't referring to that one as I believe it is further forward.

I guess I was wondering if someone has tapped into another wire with somewhat easy access within about a foot or so of the battery that is accessible and not in a harness. I got the 3 circuit so the headlight relay kit could plug in there as well. Kit has another switched circuit, and an unswitched for a battery tender. I was trying to keep a clean looking install. (formerly an anal BMW rider). Glad to hear that the posi-taps are reliable too.
V-Tom likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfors View Post
I'm not sure I understand what the 3 circuit solution and a connector for the aux/heated grip connector have to do with each other?

I have both, and they are mutually exclusive in terms of their purpose.

What are you trying to do?
I guess I wasn't real clear. I wasn't after power from the heated grip plug. I was just looking for a source of power near the battery, as I mistakenly bought the 3 circuit kit without the nice connectors to tap into the brake light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode