Rostra CC Install DL650K9 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ZepRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 381
Garage
Rostra CC Install DL650K9

I performed the installation of the Rostra Electronic CC and it went amazingly well and I thank everyone involved who assisted in this. It was installed on my DL650K9. The kit includes:

- Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise Control Kit
- Rostra 3592 Lighted Dash Switch + Relay

The install was time consuming, but came together nicely in the end.

I used the Wiring Diagram from here (follow it verbatim):

https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...ngs-dl650.html


I used the Dipswitch Settings listed here:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/283440-post3.html


I used a connection to the throttle bodies as shown here:

Throttle Connection: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...html#msg102889


The whole system works 99%. The clutch and brakes disengage as expected. All four buttons on the keypad function as they should. When hitting the SET button the engaged light illuminates, there is no need to drop speed a mph or two, it simply takes over exactly where I am on the throttle. Nice! I was able to set the CC down to 35MPH and it did hunt for a moment but then settled down.

Everything seems great but one small issue.

I have the control pad with the ON and ENGAGED light. Both lights work as expected! The only oddity is that if the CC system is off while the bike is running/riding and you pull in the clutch, it turns the CC system on. And that is the only issue.

-ZR

Last edited by ZepRider; 04-15-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Small detail.
ZepRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Dread7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepRider View Post
I performed the installation of the Rostra Electronic CC and it went amazingly well and I thank everyone involved who assisted in this. It was installed on my DL650K9. The kit includes:

- Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise Control Kit
- Rostra 3592 Lighted Dash Switch + Relay

The install was time consuming, but came together nicely in the end.

I used the Wiring Diagram from here (follow it verbatim):

https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...ngs-dl650.html


I used the Dipswitch Settings listed here:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/283440-post3.html


I used a connection to the throttle bodies as shown here:

Throttle Connection: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...html#msg102889


The whole system works 99%. The clutch and brakes disengage as expected. All four buttons on the keypad function as they should. When hitting the SET button the engaged light illuminates, there is no need to drop speed a mph or two, it simply takes over exactly where I am on the throttle. Nice! I was able to set the CC down to 35MPH and it did hunt for a moment but then settled down.

Everything seems great but one small issue.

I have the control pad with the ON and ENGAGED light. Both lights work as expected! The only oddity is that if the CC system is off while the bike is running/riding and you pull in the clutch, it turns the CC system on. And that is the only issue.
Might want to recheck as mine never turns on by itself. It's not supposed to do that.....ever

That being said take a look to the upper right of your screen. Greywolf is the guy that came up with this for the V-Strom

Formerly clovett but changed to my gaming name

2004 DL650 1998 DR650 1994 CB1000 1992 DR350
2004 Z400 1965 Norton 650 1984 Honda XL200
1975 Suzuki RM125 1972 Yamaha 100 enduro
1971 Honda CT90 1968 Honda Z50A
Dread7 is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 04-16-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ZepRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 381
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread7 View Post
Might want to recheck as mine never turns on by itself. It's not supposed to do that.....ever

That being said take a look to the upper right of your screen. Greywolf is the guy that came up with this for the V-Strom
I am very familiar with Greywolf. I was on these forums heavily starting back in 09'. He was the consummate V-Strommer. He will definitely be missed.

Besides + and - there are only four connections to the bike. If I had to take a stab at why it comes on with clutch pull it may be the connections to the brake/clutch relay; 86 and 87a reversed maybe?

85 = 12v
87 = 12v
86 = Black/Yellow
87a = White/Black
30 = CC Module (Purple)

-ZR
ZepRider is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Dread7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepRider View Post
I am very familiar with Greywolf. I was on these forums heavily starting back in 09'. He was the consummate V-Strommer. He will definitely be missed.

Besides + and - there are only four connections to the bike. If I had to take a stab at why it comes on with clutch pull it may be the connections to the brake/clutch relay; 86 and 87a reversed maybe?

85 = 12v
87 = 12v
86 = Black/Yellow
87a = White/Black
30 = CC Module (Purple)
Newer units have an issue with clutch disengagement. Tacoma's have a clutch disengage switch and you have to take the blue wire from the unit and ground it. Since the unit works otherwise I doubt it's that wiring

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...tacoma.388098/

Formerly clovett but changed to my gaming name

2004 DL650 1998 DR650 1994 CB1000 1992 DR350
2004 Z400 1965 Norton 650 1984 Honda XL200
1975 Suzuki RM125 1972 Yamaha 100 enduro
1971 Honda CT90 1968 Honda Z50A
Dread7 is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Motor7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 3,255
Do you mean turns on the system/keypad, or actually engages the CC? I agree, something is not right but if it just powers up the system I really don't see an issue.
Dread7 likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Motor7 is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ZepRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 381
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread7 View Post
Newer units have an issue with clutch disengagement. Tacoma's have a clutch disengage switch and you have to take the blue wire from the unit and ground it. Since the unit works otherwise I doubt it's that wiring

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...tacoma.388098/
Not having an issue with clutch "disengagement". It disengages as it should.

-ZR
ZepRider is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ZepRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 381
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Do you mean turns on the system/keypad, or actually engages the CC? I agree, something is not right but if it just powers up the system I really don't see an issue.

The clutch turns on the CC system if it's off. Odd but it does. The clutch also disengages the system as it's supposed to, as well as the brake. Puzzling but not a huge issue for me. It saves me a button press when riding.

All things considered, after riding some more, this is one of the best farkles I have done. And I've farkled my 09 Wee!
realshelby likes this.

-ZR
ZepRider is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Dread7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepRider View Post
Not having an issue with clutch "disengagement". It disengages as it should.
Yes it disengages as it should, which is why I said itís probably wired correctly to the switch. And it works on the Tacoma except for the fact the Tacoma has a separate switch for full clutch disengagement.

I am simply saying maybe your unit is seeing your pull of the clutch when itís off as the same effect as the clutch disengagement switch.

Remember itís supposed to be on a car

Formerly clovett but changed to my gaming name

2004 DL650 1998 DR650 1994 CB1000 1992 DR350
2004 Z400 1965 Norton 650 1984 Honda XL200
1975 Suzuki RM125 1972 Yamaha 100 enduro
1971 Honda CT90 1968 Honda Z50A
Dread7 is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 04-17-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
ZepRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 381
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread7 View Post
Yes it disengages as it should, which is why I said itís probably wired correctly to the switch. And it works on the Tacoma except for the fact the Tacoma has a separate switch for full clutch disengagement.

I am simply saying maybe your unit is seeing your pull of the clutch when itís off as the same effect as the clutch disengagement switch.
I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. There is no danger here. It has absolutely no affect the S/C or R/A operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread7 View Post
Remember itís supposed to be on a car
Exactly. That it works this good at all... amazing!

-ZR
ZepRider is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Motor7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 3,255
Ride and enjoy...............I am on my second DL with a Rostra...ain't never going 'back'

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Motor7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay Install flyingjib DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 90 01-17-2018 06:05 PM
12 Wee, Givi PLR3101 & SRA3101 rack install jbmac Maintenance, Tech and Products. 8 06-03-2015 10:06 AM
PC8 Install flyingjib Techy World! GPS, Electronics, etc 0 03-31-2013 05:11 PM
Installed Rostra cruise control now speedometer doesnĚt work Rick54 DL650A - 2012-2016 12 10-04-2012 07:51 PM
Rostra Cruise, Positioning and Routing?? Ruggybuggy DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 0 03-28-2009 07:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome