Question on mounting '12-16 Suzuki 38L aluminum top box - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By JRos
  • 1 Post By JRos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-03-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Question on mounting '12-16 Suzuki 38L aluminum top box

Hey folks,

As you may have heard, Suzuki Canada currently has an amazing deal on their 38L aluminum top box kit. Problem is it's for the '12-'16 models and I've got an '07. Initially I thought that given they seem to be Suzuki branded SW Motech's, maybe I can just pickup a compatible mounting plate for the similar SWM line of boxes. I've since come across some comments indicating that the bolt pattern on the Suzuki plate (and box??) differ from the original SW plate. I'm wondering if any of you have experience or suggestions on mounting this box on our older model wee.

Thanks in advance!

John
StromDL650 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-14-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
So I ended up buying the kit and improvising a mounting solution.

I drilled and countersunk 4 new holes in the provided mounting plate to line-up with the ones on my rack:

This spacers included in the kit were going to be too high, as they seem to be designed to sink into a wider diameter hole on the intended built-in rack on the ‘12-’16 model. Instead I used some stacked nuts:

The box is very secure, no play at all. Also think it looks pretty good.

A couple points:

- Getting the seat on and off requires a little bit of fiddling to clear the front of the plate. Not a big deal, but in retrospect I should have drilled all the holes a couple mm forward, which would have worked out better.

- You can see some scratches on the edges of the plate from sliding the box on and off. The plate is curved such that the edges interfere with bottom of the box. Not sure how this is supposed to work on the intended model. I had to bend the edges down a bit to get the box to slide into place.

When/if I find a bit more time I may try and fabricate another more suitable plate, but in the meanwhile this setup will work just fine.
StromDL650 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode