Headlights flickering and battery drainoon - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes
  • 2 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By Motorpsychology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Headlights flickering and battery drainoon

Hi all,

Just bought a 08 650. It's a bit rough but I'm willing to put the time into it. I had to put in a new stator straight away, while I was at it I put in a new regulator also.
Since putting it back together it ran perfect for about 48hrs until my lights started flickering while I was driving it home from a buddies at night. They only die for a second before coming back on again but enough to make the butt clench. I've checked the plugs and all seem ok, any ideas?

Separately, I left the bike sit for for 24hrs, Killswitch on, when I went to start it the bike the turned over once and died. Checked the battery and it was at 11V roughly. Charged it up, started first pick and checked it running in case my stator install was the cause but it was charging. Now the bike has an alarm and a immobiliser. I'm convinced it the alarm so is this something I have to live with?

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Can you give us the following voltages, measured across the battery terminals:

- Bike off, having sat for a while
- Ignition on, lights on, not started
- Bike started, idle
- Bike started, 3000 RPM
- Bike started, 5000 RPM

If possible, unplug the R/R and perform the stator test. Just because you changed it doesn't mean it's good.
- Resistance (ohms) between each wire pair
- AC voltage between each wire pair at idle, 3000 and 5000 RPM

What was the reason for putting in a new regulator? These are not really known to fail. What regulator did you put in?

When you did put the stator in, did you inspect the rotor magnets? Even spacing all around?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Add to the information mileage of the bike.

my lights started flickering while I was driving it home from a buddies at night. They only die for a second before coming back on again but enough to make the butt clench. I've checked the plugs and all seem ok, any ideas
What makes you think that the lights, assume you are talking about the headlights, have anything to do with the spark plug function?

With all the changes made to the bike, does it have headlight relays installed or not? If not check the starter switch for burned contacts. The headlight power is routed through that switch and the >100W draw of the 2 headlights is too much current for that witch. If that switch is nice and clean check the main electrical connector on the left side of the fairing for burned or corroded contacts.

Let us know what you find.
Gert and Hatchi like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm slow but I finally got some digital volt meters for the bikes that cost a couple bucks apiece with free shipping. Now I can see exactly what the charging system is doing as i ride.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Add to the information mileage of the bike.

my lights started flickering while I was driving it home from a buddies at night. They only die for a second before coming back on again but enough to make the butt clench. I've checked the plugs and all seem ok, any ideas
What makes you think that the lights, assume you are talking about the headlights, have anything to do with the spark plug function?
I think blaustrom could have meant "connectors" not "plugs."
Warhead likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
People who confuse the words "burro" and "burrow" don't know their ass from hole in the ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode