StromTrooper banner

DL 650A needs brake pads

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·
There's too many choices. Which ones are not up to par, which ones are in the sweet spot, and which ones are overkill. I do a good mix of city, highway, and forest service road riding.

#3 ·
In the past I was running the EBC HH Sintered but I like the Ferodo's waaay better.
I had EBC HH on my previous bike, 2007 Wee, and I liked them. I sold that bike and now I have a 2014 Wee that still has the OEM brake pads. I'm not due for a while but what did you like about the Ferodo's, esp. compared to EBC HH. Could you really tell the difference? Thanks.

#8 ·
I bought no name sintered pads off of Amazon for less than $30 shipped for all three sets. Having used the no namers before on my DR650 and them lasting as long as OEM and feeling just a good I gave them a try. Sold the bike long before they wore out but just like the DR they felt fine and were wearing well.

I'll buy them again for the DR and if they make them for the BMW when the time comes it'll get them a s well.

#13 ·
I used HH rated EBC on the last Blade I had and I really liked them, very strong and didn't need to get up to much temperature to work well. I didn't notice any grabbiness or un-nerving sudden bite even when hard on the front brake and they were never anything but controllable. They did however ruin the discs pretty rapidly but I did put a fair few track days on them.

I'm using GG in the Wee at the moment and I can honestly say that for everyday riding they are fine. Better in the wet than the HH's but not as strong in the dry. Work well from the start of a ride, even in the cold, with good feel and are nicely progressive. When these ones wear through I'll replace with the same. I feel that these work best for me on the road.

I've used the cheaper Chinese stuff from Amazon and Ebay on a bike when I needed to save money and was not impressed. No feel and lacked initial bite. Felt like the brakes needed bleeding. You really do get what you pay for.

#18 ·
The Chinese pad set I got was unbranded... Should have told me everything I needed to know! :surprise:

I paid £18 ($25ish) for the complete set some 3 years ago for the SV650S I was running.

I'll be replacing my front pads soon as they are starting to get close to the limit so will be very interested to see how you get on with the Volar as the EBC are double that price just for the front and the genuine Suzuki £55 or $71!

#19 ·
Well I have the Volar HH pads installed, took a nice little ride and did plenty of hard braking......."SO FAR" let's just say I am impressed for the money, and I most certainly have better feel and stopping power than I did with the OEM pads. Time will tell of course, but I am hopefully optimistic. Be sure to remove the OEM piston shim plates from the old pads, and they also fit perfectly on the Volar pads.

#21 ·
I've ordered a set of Pagaishi at £6.95 a side and a set of EBC's so I can compare them both. I have no idea if the Pagaishi are like the HH or GG EBC's as they come with very little info except they are described as 'Semi Metallic'.

This does however mean I'm now going to have to strip and clean the entire brake calipers so they are as good as they can be to get a better and fair comparison. I'll make sure the discs and the bobbins they float on are all good to reduce any other variable creeping in.

Not the most scientific of tests with only two types used to compare but I am genuinely interested to see if I've been paying more than I needed to.

I'll try to put a few hundred miles on each set to get a fair comparison and, hopefully, it'll rain as well. It's the UK, in spring and summer so I think rain won't be an issue.

Keep you all posted.

#23 ·
Okay, so tried the Pagaishi and found that they were okay ish... lacked bite but didn't seem to fade or lose any power even when hard on the brakes. Not the strongest but good feel and progressive. Not so good in the wet as they seemed to fade very quickly, like they couldn't keep any heat in them.

I've just put the EBC HH in and the difference is noticeable. A lot more bite and they bite hard. I can get the ABS to kick in. No fade even in the brief heatwave we had here in the UK over Easter. Have not had a chance to try them in the wet yet.

In isolation I would have been happy with the Pagaishi's but having compared them to the EBC's it brings up a pretty stark difference.

#22 ·
I put EBC HH street performance pads on both ends a couple of years a go. My OEM pads had plenty of meat left, but I was looking for some more bite. I was surprised to see that my '11 Wee (L1) already had HH stamped Tokico pads on it. I could still notice an improvement in the front. I only put HH pads on the rear, because My Wee had ABS. The organic was OEM on the rear. The rear brake went from "what brake" to "some brakes". Not terribly hard to kick in the ABS in the rear if you're careless. I wouldn't recommend the HH on the rear on a non ABS bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.