Galfer brake lines. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Galfer brake lines.

My '08 Wee is getting to the age where it can't hurt to replace the brake lines with stainless steel ones.
I know Spiegler lines are very good and I have them on my other bike, but the Galfers sell for over $30 less.
So. Does anyone have experience with the Galfer brand?

Thanks for your time.
DesertBike likes this.

'08 Silver BMW R1200RT
'08 Weestrom "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
All I want is somewhere to ride and food when I get there.
Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, we do. Never had a problem with them. Not one.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/braide...ake-lines.html
Big B likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

What makes you think that 10 years is the max for your brake line life expectancy? Are they cracked or otherwise showing signs of decay?
Big B likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 16 Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Change them out, if for no other reason than they will greatly increase your brake lever feel in threshold braking.

I did my '09 about 3 years ago--no, the OEM lines weren't cracked yet--and it made a huge difference.

I installed new HH sintered brake pads at the same time and they give more initial bite than the organics, albeit a little harder on the rotors.
DesertBike likes this.

Last edited by badjuju; 03-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
What makes you think that 10 years is the max for your brake line life expectancy? Are they cracked or otherwise showing signs of decay?
I've had an experience with a collapsed rubber line on a vehicle about 15 years old. It was not a pleasant day.
Besides, i want to fiddle with my bike.

'08 Silver BMW R1200RT
'08 Weestrom "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
All I want is somewhere to ride and food when I get there.
Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop!
post #6 of 16 Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the slightly longer Galfer lines a couple years back because I was adding bar risers. They worked well and were an improvement over stock.
Changing the front lines makes for a somewhat tedious bleeding process. Takes a little longer is all.
DesertBike likes this.

Henry

"Rock bottom will teach you lessons that mountain tops never will..."

2016 V-Strom DL650 (red) 'Sweetness'
2011 V-Strom DL650 (white)
post #7 of 16 Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
I have Galfers and think they are an improvement. They don't turn the brakes into Brembos.
But slightly better than stock.
However, on installation I lost an olive crush washer and the bike sat for 10 days waiting for a spare. If you go for it PLEASE ask for an additional spare olive washer on your initial order. You won't find one anywhere else in the universe so get a spare in the beginning. Just in case.
On the improvement level, I think a complete refit is the way to go. Our calipers are very weak and you can't get around that unless you replace them with big pots.
This is the most glaring weakness of our bikes IMO.
Big B and DesertBike like this.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Your reply strikes me as a bit odd... Are you actually suggesting that a person should wait until they notice cracking or dryrotting on their brake lines before replacing them? Suzuki recommends replacing brakes lines every 4 years... OP is at 2 1/2 times that interval.
DesertBike likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #9 of 16 Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
Your reply strikes me as a bit odd... Are you actually suggesting that a person should wait until they notice cracking or dryrotting on their brake lines before replacing them? Suzuki recommends replacing brakes lines every 4 years... OP is at 2 1/2 times that interval.
4 years is way too cautious IMO. My stock lines looked great after 12 years of service. However, I did feel I was pushing my luck. Some of the other rubber bits (mainly cooling system hoses) had lost their elasticity and I'd already had to replace them to stop leaks.

I was due for new brake fluid this spring, so, why not get new lines at the same time? I also wanted to add taller handlebar risers (Rox 3.5" specifically), so needed extended lines, as well as new ones.

I got the Galfer +2" lines from Adventuretech, and installed them a few weeks ago. They've been great.

I'm skeptical that the "improved brake feel" is anything but placebo effect, but I definitely have nice brake response.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
4 years is way too cautious IMO. My stock lines looked great after 12 years of service. However, I did feel I was pushing my luck. Some of the other rubber bits (mainly cooling system hoses) had lost their elasticity and I'd already had to replace them to stop leaks.

I was due for new brake fluid this spring, so, why not get new lines at the same time? I also wanted to add taller handlebar risers (Rox 3.5" specifically), so needed extended lines, as well as new ones.

I got the Galfer +2" lines from Adventuretech, and installed them a few weeks ago. They've been great.

I'm skeptical that the "improved brake feel" is anything but placebo effect, but I definitely have nice brake response.
I agree that the maintenance schedule is very cautious, but to imply that someone should ignore the manufacturer recommendation by more than 2.5x because there may not be visible signs of rot/crack. Brakes are pretty darned important... The majority of riders are hard pressed to keep proper air in their tires, much less full inspection of the entire length of their brake hoses and associated fittings on a regular schedule.
DesertBike likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode