Could you listen and tell me if this engine sounds right to you? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Could you listen and tell me if this engine sounds right to you?

2004 Vstrom 650, 26,xxx miles. Sunday had the oil changed to Amsoil 10 w40 w/Wix filter. I've owned this bike for about 2000 miles. I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner reported he did not have the valves adjusted. I'm thinking its time. It has been making some noise and I think its top end noise, like a valve adjustment is needed. I'm concerned its a different issue from the valves but I hope not.

Its a little annoying while riding because I can kinda hear it but when the helmet is off, like when I just ride in the driveway to put it in the garage, it downright scary sounding in person.

Please just give this a listen and tell me what you think.

Thanks!
Justin

It was about 40 degrees outside, thus the steam. Not smoke!

gwc likes this.

Last edited by Justin35; 03-12-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Other than that it has a Holeshot can and is exceptionally clean I can't find anything else to comment on.

How on earth can you hear if the valves need adjusting?? The only way to know is to measure the clearance and if it has never been done, do it!

Other than that, get some earplugs and make it dirty ;-)
gwc, notacop, K9 Wee and 3 others like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 03-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Sounds like a normal strom to me..........
madstrom, Spec, marcham and 1 others like this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #4 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yeh, the Stroms sound like a washing machine full of marbles or a sewing machine on steroids. Sounds good to me, but agree with Blaustrom that the only way to know the state of the valve clearances is to check them or have them checked. At 26k it is overdue but it sure would not be the first Strom to experience that.
madstrom likes this.

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Other than that it has a Holeshot can and is exceptionally clean I can't find anything else to comment on.

How on earth can you hear if the valves need adjusting?? The only way to know is to measure the clearance and if it has never been done, do it!

Other than that, get some earplugs and make it dirty ;-)
LOL Thanks for the reply. Holeshot? It is a StainTune that came with it when I purchased it. It had a baffle, but I misplaced it. I like the sound.

So wow, hard to believe of the consensus so far that it sounds close to this even when healthy. Box of rocks indeed. Seems to run fine though. I'll keep watching for other replies but I thinkn I'll have my mechanic check the valves if for nothing else my own peace of mind.

EDIT: Also, while I have your attention, should the sightglass have no oil in it while the engine is running? I tried to fill it as close to the fill line as possible Sunday when I changed the oil. I realize some goes in the oil filter, bringing the level down.

Last edited by Justin35; 03-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin35 View Post
So wow, hard to believe of the consensus so far that it sounds close to this even when healthy. Box of rocks indeed. Seems to run fine though. I'll keep watching for other replies but I thinkn I'll have my mechanic check the valves if for nothing else my own peace of mind.

1st bike?

Sounds normal to me. Motorcycle engines are noisy, you're sitting right on top of it after all.

I always ride with ear plugs. On the rare occasion that I don't I can't stand the engine mechanical noise. I know that it's normal but it's distracting!

You won't see oil in the sight glass with the motor running. You also won't see the oil on the sidestand with the motor off.
The bike has to be level and the motor needs to be off for a few minutes to get an accurate level in the sight glass.
Big B, madstrom, K9 Wee and 1 others like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

Last edited by Spec; 03-12-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
1st bike?

Sounds normal to me. Motorcycle engines are noisy, you're sitting right on top of it after all.

I always ride with ear plugs. On the rare occasion that I don't I can't stand the engine mechanical noise. I know that it's normal but it's distracting!
You're nearly right. It's my 2nd. I bought a little Honda NX250 (rare bike) to learn on. Rode for about 1 year then upgraded to this. I'm fairly particular and careful about my motorized possessions. I want them to be in perfect shape.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

My 04 Wee with 99.5K miles sounds like that but I wear ear plugs and don't worry about it.
Every 15 years you may want to check the valves.
Big B, Spec and VSrider like this.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Ok, everyone else says it sounds normal. Maybe because you were holding your phone close to the crankcase, but to me it sounded like a worn/loose primary chain. With the phone nearer the head(s) it sounded like an arcing spark plug wire, but I would have expected a rougher idle. So chalk it up to greatly amplified and localized normal sound, and enjoy your bike.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #10 of 30 Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Did you notice an increase in noise after the oil change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode