Low vstrom 650 MPG - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Low vstrom 650 MPG

Hello,
I have been averaging about 40 mpg on my 2011 vstrom 650. About 6 months ago i was getting 48-52 mpg. I changed my chain and sprockets, air filter and all 4 spark plugs hopping that was the problem. It helped but i am still only averaging 42-43 mpg now. during this whole time my riding style hasn't changed, I still am almost always under 6K rpms and fairly easy on the acceleration. they bike has 47K miles on it.
Anybody know why it may still be so low and what i can do to get it back up?
Any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

May be a dumb question, but are you figuring true miles from a gps or using the odometer?

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #3 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure what your location is, but the two biggest things that affect your mileage in winter is the cold temps increase friction in the crankcase and wheel bearings, plus the winter-blend gas typically drops MPG about 3-5% over summer blend. Should see lower MPG in your car as well.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I live in the CA central valley (Fresno)
post #5 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I am using the odometer, but when calculating the mpg previously i also used the odometer. so the percentage difference would stay the same, verse using gps or odometer miles
post #6 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmikewiebe View Post
I am using the odometer, but when calculating the mpg previously i also used the odometer. so the percentage difference would stay the same, verse using gps or odometer miles
What I was getting at is the odometer will be off when changing the sprockets. Unless the bike is using a sensor on the wheel.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
What I was getting at is the odometer will be off when changing the sprockets. Unless the bike is using a sensor on the wheel.
That is true if you change the size of sprockets, but I kept the same amount of teeth. So unless i misunderstood what you meant that wont apply to my bike
post #8 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
That is true if you change the size of sprockets, but I kept the same amount of teeth. So unless i misunderstood what you meant that wont apply to my bike
That was my question, that you might have changed sprocket teeth count.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I have been averaging about 40 mpg on my 2011 vstrom 650. About 6 months ago i was getting 48-52 mpg. I changed my chain and sprockets, air filter and all 4 spark plugs hoping that was the problem. It helped but I am still only averaging 42-43 mpg now. during this whole time my riding style hasn't changed, I still am almost always under 6K rpms and fairly easy on the acceleration. they bike has 47K miles on it.
It sounds to me like something is wrong with the bike with such a sudden and significant drop in MPG, assuming all parameters (riding style, gas, use case, etc) are the same.

Quote:
Anybody know why it may still be so low and what i can do to get it back up? Any help is appreciated
FYI, Gen1 Wee has the speedo sensor built into the front wheel hub so this is not due to change in sprockets.

Here are a few things off the top of my head;
  • Ethanol Gas?: Perhaps the gas station you normally use switched from E0 to E10 or E10 to E15 (E=ethanol & 0,10,15=%). Ethanol does not have as much specific energy as gasoline so it does lower gas mileage. In the SF Bay Area I cannot get non-ethanol fuel (E0) but I'd think in Fresno it is probably available (more farming communities than urban). Find out if your station recently switch blends and/or find stations that you know have pure gas.
  • Dragging brake?: This can happen with the rear brake sometimes. It doesn't hurt to check.
  • Wheel bearings due?: If the wheel bearings have never been replaced they may be due and starting to drag.
  • Leaky fuel injectors?: The fuel injectors can get deposits that hang them up from fully closing (thus leaking) or fully atomizing the fuel which makes for an inefficient burn thus lower MPG. Run some seafoam or other injector cleaning additive and see if it helps or have your injectors serviced. RC Fuel Injection.
  • Weak Fuel Flow or Pressure?: A weak fuel pump or plugged intake sock or plugged high pressure filter can have a similar effect as a plugged injector. Without proper flow and pressure from the fuel pump injectors dribble instead of spray impacting a clean burn.
  • Bad Battery?: It might seem odd to blame the battery but a bad battery can have all sorts of weird effects. If it is anywhere near 4-5 years old just replace it before it strands you and rule it out as a cause. Test the whole charging system while you are at it, especially the ground wire to the motor.
  • Vacuum Leak?: At 9 years old and almost 50K miles the vacuum hoses and connectors are dried out, brittle and prone to leak.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #10 of 16 Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Are your spark plugs dark brown, black, or sooty looking? If so your bike is running rich. Check after driving with a warm engine and somewhat spirited, at higher revs, which should normally make them light sand brown or grey. You already made sure there is enough air, something is giving it too much fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode