Turn Signal cutout by PO? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-06-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Turn Signal cutout by PO?

Hello all,

I've recently wanted to update my front turn signals but have found that the previous owner has had fun dropping this bike onto the bits that stick out (i.e. turn signals and plastics). They replaced the front signals with a semi flush mount type signal that I think don't stick out quite enough for other drivers to see which makes daily riding scary at best.

I ordered some LED signals and when I went to pull off the old semi flush ones I noticed what looks like a massive cutout where the original used to be. Is this normal? I'll post a photo later but its on my phone right now. I'm wondering if its almost the same size as the OEM signal and if I'd be able to put some back on or if I'm looking at a new headlight fairing?

Thoughts?

2005 V-Strom DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Here’s the cutout with the semi flush signal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0735970-749B-417B-AC6B-40B00D4F9508_1551920329868.jpg (238.2 KB, 10 views)

2005 V-Strom DL650
post #3 of 18 Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Get some thin metal and make some backing plates. My salvage has little tiny flush mounts so the holes can't be too big, haven't looked.
Or, order up some replacement plastic panels.
Gert likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 03:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you do decide to find standard indicator replacements from a scrap yard, e-bay, dealer, etc, you may want to consider shortening the indicator stalks. Many pix on how to do this mod, Alain27 - Raccourcir les clignotants avant pour qu'ils ne touchent pas en cas de chute, without having to use the Google translation.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I used the black plastic from a old oil bottle to make spacers and fill the gaps.

By using plastic if you dump the bike in the future the indicators will pull free more easily without any further damage and will go back in place just as easily.
Brockie likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 05:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
I used the black plastic from a old oil bottle to make spacers and fill the gaps.

By using plastic if you dump the bike in the future the indicators will pull free more easily without any further damage and will go back in place just as easily.
Seconding that idea.

I've done a very similar thing another bike and found that it worked very well. I had to use a little bathroom silicon sealant to help keep it all in place (and keep any water out as part of the loom for the headlight ran right next to, not sure if it was needed but as I'd got it all apart didn't seem to be a bad idea) but it held and didn't move about.
notacop and Bearded Viking like this.

The more you think the less the better.

Notable bikes: SV650S (Sold), Kawasaki ER5 (Being repaired), 01 Blade (Sold), Another SV650S (Sold), 05 GSXR1000 (Sold), Suzuki GSF400Z (Sold), Yamaha FZR400RR Streetfighter (Sold), Kawasaki GPZ500S (Sold), Yamaha XJ600 Divvie (Crashed), 04 Kawasaki ZX10R (Written off at Snetterton), GSX750X (Sold), 04 ZX6R (Sold), 02 ZX6R (Sold), 94 FZR600R (Sold), 91 NC30 (Sold and missed), 87 GSXR750 (Sold and really missed), RD125LC (Crashed, rebuilt then sold).
post #7 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I got replacement aftermarket turn indicators at the local Power Sports shop for about $20 and the stalks were shorter and more flexible.
They are dual filament so you can have running rights too. I had to use some large washers to fill in the difference in hole size.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
If you do decide to find standard indicator replacements from a scrap yard, e-bay, dealer, etc, you may want to consider shortening the indicator stalks. Many pix on how to do this mod......
Thank you for the link! I'll have to look at doing that so that I don't have future issues haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

That's a fantastic Idea! I was wondering how I'd fill in the gaps rather than buy an almost $300 headlight fairing just for the turn signals to break if I ever dump it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I got replacement aftermarket turn indicators at the local Power Sports shop for about $20 and the stalks were shorter and more flexible.
They are dual filament so you can have running rights too. I had to use some large washers to fill in the difference in hole size.
I'll have to check with my shop but they charge and arm and a leg because they're the only racket in town but I like the idea of running lights to be more visible!

2005 V-Strom DL650
post #9 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Viking View Post
I'll have to check with my shop but they charge and arm and a leg because they're the only racket in town but I like the idea of running lights to be more visible!
It is simple enough with a 12v circuit tester.
The three wires will be a 5a or so for the running light, a 21a or so for the indicator, and an earth.
Connect the 21amp and the earth to the two indicator wires. Then find a wire anywhere in there that is powered on with the key and then splice the 5 amp wire to it.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #10 of 18 Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
It is simple enough with a 12v circuit tester.
The three wires will be a 5a or so for the running light, a 21a or so for the indicator, and an earth.
Connect the 21amp and the earth to the two indicator wires. Then find a wire anywhere in there that is powered on with the key and then splice the 5 amp wire to it.
That would be watts, not amps. 😀
Brockie likes this.

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dl650 , signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode