Won't start / backfire - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

5Likes
  • 2 Post By ronnietx2
  • 3 Post By ronnietx2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Won't start / backfire

I've read every thread I can find on here and VSRI etc but I'm at my wit's end.

05 dl650. Developed hesitation problem so I parked it until I had time to fix it. Life got in the way and by the time I went to work on it it wouldn't start at all.

I suspected the gas had gone bad since it had sat for 7 months, so I pulled the tank, did a vinegar soak and rinse, replaced the high pressure fuel filter and the mesh screen. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the throttle bodies and that immediately fixed the sticky throttle issue.

I put it back together, the pump works fine now (tested with measuring cup) and the bike will crank all day with no error codes.

But it won't even start to fire. If I pull the airbox top and hit it with starter fluid, it will fire up and run for a second or two. I pulled off the secondary throttle plates in case that was causing the issue too. I pulled the rear plug wire and checked, spark is good too. Although I figured as much since it fires with starter fluid in either cylinder.

If I crank it for a while with the throttle twisted all the way open, it will backfire through the exhaust. Although it did backfire through the intake once, I suspect that was because I just hit it with too much starter fluid.

Bike is stock, low miles, valves clearance was checked 1000 miles ago and was spot on, all connectors are seated well, all fuses are good (Unless there's more than the 8 or 10 in the box next to the battery) and like I said, no error codes.

I'm guessing it's the injectors at this point, because running with starter fluid means I have compression and spark, so fuel is all that's left. But if there's something else I'm missing please let me know. I guess they could both be clogged?

What's the consensus on trying to clean them? I have a small ultrasonic cleaner, but based on what I've read here they don't appear to be serviceable? Since it backfires once cranked for a while I'm assuming they are getting voltage but maybe they're stuck open or something? I'm a carb guy so I don't have much experience with injectors.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would do a fuel line pressure check to make sure the re-built pump is working correctly. I made my own gadget for that test and then someone suggested I should have gone to the local parts store, they apparently have them for rent, worth calling around.

I did register that you checked flow but that was against zero backpressure, so you need to do an inline pressure check to make sure the pump builds up pressure as per specification.

There are places that do clean injectors. Earlier here a good contractor in CA was mentioned but I can't find it now. If you search you will find someone to clean them, if that's what is the problem.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks, I'll try borrowing one from the auto parts store tomorrow. I ended up pulling the injectors, and sure enough they looked kind of dirty inside. I ended up ordering a used set of ebay for 50 bucks just now, they'll be here in 3 days. I figure if they weren't the problem I can just resell them.

I hit the with 12v with alligator clips and they do seem to move just fine, I can feel them open and close. The holes on the injection end are impossibly small, and I don't know if it's a good idea to try to poke something in there even if I had something small enough to fit.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I JUST FIXED IT!

Hallelujah!

I cleaned the injectors out with carb cleaner, I cycled them a couple of dozen times each with a jumper wire, and I put a small screwdriver in the end and pushed them manually, I don't know what did it but I put it back together and it cranked right up.

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to get this sorted, but I just refused to quit and I finally got it.

I'm going to leave this thread up for posterity, (and because I'm not completely out of the woods yet), but I'm pretty sure that it's all downhill from here.
Gert and Brockie like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 AM
$tromtrooper

It kinda sounds , like you had an air leak. Maybe the rubber boot under the TB's was not seated correctly the first time around?

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

A small air leak like that could cause rough starting or running, but it wouldn't cause it to have zero combustion / no hitting at all. With the bad injectors it wouldn't even flutter once when cranking.

I just put the new injectors in today, and it fires up first try and idles great. Now I just have to put everything back together so I can take a ride before it gets too damn hot in Texas.

Thanks to everyone on the forum, and in particular Greywolf (RIP) who I had the pleasure of interacting with years ago when I first bought my Strom off this forum. All those old threads helped me narrow down my issue even if it still did take a while to fix.
Big B, blaustrom and Gert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode