Aftermarket Fuel Pump - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Aftermarket Fuel Pump

I have a 2011. Used a couple manuals to try to diagnose an issue. After going through that I was still stuck so I took it to a shop and they're fairly certain that the fuel pump is the cause of my 2 issues. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with an aftermarket pump? I would much rather get one of those if they're decent than spend $500+ on a Suzuki OEM pump.
Lrobby99 and DesertBike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

How many miles on your bike? What are the symptoms?
A fuel pump issue of sorts is well known on these bikes. But it isn't the pump proper. It's a filter that is integral to the pump. There is a fix that many have done. You drill a hole that bypasses the stock filter and install an inline filter. I had to do mine on a trip. It was a 3 hour setback and cost about $20 or so. That was 15K miles ago.
Now, maybe you've got something different going on but there are quite a few threads here on this issue and a few excellent write-ups of the fix. Mine is an '04 so the write up I used won't help.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Ebay has lots of them. Usually under $50 bucks shipped.

Put one in my SV. But the fuel filter was the real problem.

Need to do a fuel flow test too.
Thatwasclose likes this.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've used an aftermarket pump, easy replacement and all. Do a search for the oem PN and you should come up with options. I can forward details of my source when I get home later if necessary.

Rob

Ride every day, it's good for you.
07 650A | KLR250(x2) | KLR650 | DRZ400 | FJR
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've had sediment in inline filters leading to carburetors. They get a bit grainy after a long while. It's never caused the bike to stop. But with a FI bike, I've not had any fuel pump or filter problems.
What is the consensus on the cause? Bad gas? Alien invasions? Mothballs in the gas tank?
Most of my riding has been out West but I've made a couple cross country trips and raided the Midwest a number of times and haven't gotten bad gas yet.
This is over a period of decades and 100's of thousands of miles. Am I one of the lucky ones?
DesertBike likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 01:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm just speculating here but here in the midwest (WI) the gas stations serve some pretty clean gas. Off the beaten path type stations in Podunk, or worse, East Podunk are far more likely to have some contamination in their gas. If you are unfortunate and don't have carefully monitored gasoline available you're much more likely to have issues. Back in the early days of passenger car diesels I had first hand experience with old gas, or in this case diesel fuel. Truck stops were fine but the smaller stations that only moved a small amount of oil served up inferior fuel. I've also experienced poor running when I filled up at inner city stations in the big city. Just my 2 cents.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I seem to remember someone discovering that the Suzuki Grand Vitara had the exact same fuel pump at less than half the price from a car dealer
DesertBike likes this.

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #8 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Wink

These $26 units should work fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Fuel...frcectupt=true

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Bentwee, first started with a whine coming from around what I thought was the engine a few months back. Couple months after the whine I started having power loss whenever I tried to go full throttle in any gear. I replaced the fuel filter itself with no change. Haven't run the fuel flow test yet, but I'm sure the service department I went to did it. They haven't had the chance to recreate the power loss issue yet due to poor weather, but they did say the whine is the fuel pump going bad
post #10 of 12 Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
On my 2012 dl650a the previous owner let the fuel tank get somewhat rusty inside. On my first inspection (tank off and fuel pump removed) I found patches of light rust about halfway up inside the tank. That rust sediment collected around the Ďtea bagí strainer at the bottom of the pump assembly, and some made its way further into the internal filter (inside the plastic housing). I replace my pump (which is better described as an impeller motor) with a compatible one from ebay, but still had the squeal. What I since done a couple of times is dismantled the plastic pump assembly and used kerosene to back-flush the internal filter and got some fine particles removed. Since doing the flush I donít have the squeal anymore, however throttle performance improvements only last about a month before I have to redo the process.

Iíll be doing the in-line filter replacement though because itís a bit of a pain having to keep doing this, and naturally I need to tackle the tank rust with a good treatment process as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode