Phone/GPS mounting position. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Phone/GPS mounting position.

Good day all,

I am looking at mounting a phone/GPS to the bike this year. (I hated stopping last year to check my route during a ride) I feel my handle bars are crowded enough as is, plus I would find myself looking down too much (I am quite tall). I would like to mount it just above the instrument cluster, right behind the windshield. It looks like this area would be big enough for a phone plus offer some pretty good protection from the elements and even a drop.

If anyone has an idea on how to achieve this or has done it I would be interested in seeing your methods. My Givi windshield is currently off as I was replacing my cluster, so now is a good time to make up a mount.

Thank you.
DesertBike likes this.

Don't drop your bike after owning it for 3 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM
$tromtrooper

post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 03:21 PM
$tromtrooper

I think that is too far away especially on a Strom. X mount/RAM mount and a tall arm gives you a lot of flexibility.

You can tilt the screen to avoid reflections.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
Good day all,

I am looking at mounting a phone/GPS to the bike this year. (I hated stopping last year to check my route during a ride) I feel my handle bars are crowded enough as is, plus I would find myself looking down too much (I am quite tall). I would like to mount it just above the instrument cluster, right behind the windshield. It looks like this area would be big enough for a phone plus offer some pretty good protection from the elements and even a drop.

If anyone has an idea on how to achieve this or has done it I would be interested in seeing your methods. My Givi windshield is currently off as I was replacing my cluster, so now is a good time to make up a mount.

Thank you.

FYI...

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-...gps-shelf.html

Ride & be safe
Warhead likes this.

Ed Jones
VN Veteran 69 101st AB
STOC # 5950
AMA Life Member

2013 DL650A Adv. (Weester)
97 ST1100 (Shasa) SOLD

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...... ;>)
post #5 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thank you! I like that plate/shelf idea. I might have to take some measurements and see if I cannot make something. That idea never crossed my mind. plus there is an USB charger with about 8" of that mounting area.

Do you find the ram mount or ram mount style for that matter work well without the need of the extra rubber webbing?

Don't drop your bike after owning it for 3 hours.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
Thank you! I like that plate/shelf idea. I might have to take some measurements and see if I cannot make something. That idea never crossed my mind. plus there is an USB charger with about 8" of that mounting area.

Do you find the ram mount or ram mount style for that matter work well without the need of the extra rubber webbing?

Out on the flattop it seems fine haven't done a lot of miles with the GPS in place other than to see if it'll hang with through a rough road we have here. That said it past that test fine, I just don't ride my local rides with a GPS it's really for longer trips which I plan on later this spring. My long rides for 18 were pretty well done when I made this mount last year.....

As aforementioned in my notes, watch how much curved room to give over the center section, it took a couple of tries to get enough clearance so it's an easy on-off mount.

Ed Jones
VN Veteran 69 101st AB
STOC # 5950
AMA Life Member

2013 DL650A Adv. (Weester)
97 ST1100 (Shasa) SOLD

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...... ;>)

Last edited by senoje; 02-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
If you are going with the Ram mount skip the X Mount. Get the spring finger mount instead. Much more stable!
https://www.motosport.com/ram-mounts-universal-spring-loaded-cell-phone-holder?variant[RAM001Q]=RAM001Q-X001-Y001
post #8 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Here's a crazy way to mount a GPS, but it just flat works. I have a 5"/127mm Rand Mc Nally TND530 GPS and a Givi universal Phone/GPS Holder: p/n S954B. it features a quick release mechanism similar to their Tank-Lok system. The mount will attach to the handlebar, but in that position, it's difficult to see over my tallish tank bag. So I thought I'd try mounting it to the left mirror stalk. Good visibility and much more convenient for operating. I tightened the mirror down an extra 1/4+ turn and took off on a shakedown ride. Perfect! No vibration, easily readable at all speeds and the GPS and mirror stay in adjustment-no deviation. I've even done a low speed low side in sandy gravel on that side and incurred no damage. The Holder is of good quality and even comes with a windowed rain pouch, but the holder itself seals out everything but full immersion.
I would also like to recommend using a true GPS rather than a smartphone, as GPS's are more robust electronically and more tolerant of constant sunlight that a smartphone- no hi temp shutdown. My GPS is also brighter than my iPhone. Works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (368.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (509.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (420.3 KB, 30 views)

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #9 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm on a quest for the best phone mount. X-mount really doesn't excite me but holds the phone no questions asked.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwighop View Post
I'm on a quest for the best phone mount. X-mount really doesn't excite me but holds the phone no questions asked.
I've had a phone extract itself from the X-Mount type holder. Wasn't using the rubber band at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode