Speedometer problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bogfarth
  • 1 Post By Bogfarth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Speedometer problem

Hey guys,

Just bought my second wee (to own, not concurrent), 08 from a mate who needed rid of it. It has been parked up for 9 months but was well maintained before that with no issues. 17k miles so only getting going really

It has an issue with it's speedometer, the needle flails up and down randomly when the bike is turned on, engine not running.
This actually adds mileage to the speedometer, about a mile every minute and a half without the bike moving or started. Tried basic cleaning, check for snags or debris at cable etc. No luck.
What is going on here, is this a sensor or cluster issue. Anybody ever experience this before.

Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sounds like you have a rare self driving bike!

Does the bike start and run fine other then that? Or does the needle still jump around and add mileage.

How was the bike stored for those 9 months?

Don't drop your bike after owning it for 3 hours.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Last time I read about someone with a speedo issue, the culprit was discovered under the seat. One battery cable had wiggled loose at the terminal and, lacking solid contact, sent the dash computer into hysterics when the ignition was switched on.

Take a gander at the big main plug for the cowl and see if any of the connections have burned/melted/corroded.

Last resort, pull the dash and check the computer for water, signs of a short, evidence the bike was hexed, etc.
Rolex likes this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Last time I read about someone with a speedo issue, the culprit was discovered under the seat. One battery cable had wiggled loose at the terminal and, lacking solid contact, sent the dash computer into hysterics when the ignition was switched on.

Take a gander at the big main plug for the cowl and see if any of the connections have burned/melted/corroded.

Last resort, pull the dash and check the computer for water, signs of a short, evidence the bike was hexed, etc.

what do you mean by "hexed"?

Don't drop your bike after owning it for 3 hours.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Where are you located? I have a spare cluster for an '04 Wee. It's not pretty (smashed through the lens, broken mounts), but fully functional when I replaced it. Certainly adequate for testing purposes.

My replacement went crazy with wild needle toward the end of a few hundred mile day with high speeds and heavy rain. Next day was dry and speedo is fine since. Maybe open yours up and let it dry out real good?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Look for a faulty electrical connection. This bikes needles both go to max and then back to zero when the key is turned on.

Disconnect the main wiring plug LH side of the steering head and check for corrosion, then every other plug you can find in the faring, and then as Bogfarth suggests the battery connections. Was it stored in a damp/cold shed?

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

So I got the bike back to mine, stripped all the fairing off, checked and cleaned connections/sensor plug on right hand side and at cluster, had a new chain, sprocket, front bearing, fork seals, service and checked valves, put it all back together and the problem is solved for now anyway.

The battery was new this week and I fitted it, so i don't think that was the issue in the first place, the bike was stored outside under a lean-to with a decent cover on in South London
So out of direct rain but exposed to atmosphere

None of the connections appeared corroded or had surface oxidation as far as I could tell.

So difficult to ascertain if it was a simple clean and reconnect of the system, or 48 hrs in a dry slightly warmer workshop(15 degrees C maybe) that has solved it.

Hopefully won't reappear, was a bizarre one.

Thanks for the spare cluster offer, hopefully not needed at the moment.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
hexed = bad ju ju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianalex View Post
The battery was new this week and I fitted it, so i don't think that was the issue in the first place, the bike was stored outside under a lean-to with a decent cover on in South London
So out of direct rain but exposed to atmosphere
pretty moist environment, and when stored for periods (inside/outside) mice can become a problem.

hopefully it was just an iffy connection.

14 tooth for me
post #9 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
Pagan symbology on the circuit board, frog toes behind the speedo, general witchcraft, etc. Ya know, hexed.
Warhead likes this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode