Great dilemma! :) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Great dilemma! :)

Since I recently bought v-strom 650, 2009 and I do not intend to go off road with it, what protection would be smart for me to install, besides crash bar? I know it would be best to get it all, but since budget is an issue, in your opinion, what would be priority list for the protection installments over the time (radiator guard, handguard, skid plate...)?
I'm really curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars will protector your legs in a fall or tip over and will save the tank. Hand guards with an aluminum frame, like Bark Bustes or Cycra will protect you hands from bugs and road debris. They also make for a good lifting point if you dump it (you will). RAdiator protector is a good idea as front tires can pick up rocks, even on the roadway. The skid plate looks cool but on road, serves no practical purpost other than making it difficult to clean the engine.
Brockie and Hmm like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
How long do you plan to keep the bike? What sort of weather will you be riding in?

Mine has a front fender extension that I'm happy the previous owner installed. It has kept some of the road grime off the exhaust and whatnot.

I never bothered with a skidplate or an oil cooler guard, and in 120k miles it hasn't been an issue.

The factory plastic handguards are great for cold and bad weather.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

For road use, none of it is necessary, just get out and ride. If you don't have good riding gear, that is a better investment.

If you already have good gear for yourself and plan to protect the bike, I would say this priority:
Crash bars or frame sliders
Oil cooler guard
Hand guards
Radiator guard

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list

Last edited by vanislejay; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Just ride it and see if there is anything that really bothers you, then deal with it.

If your bike has no luggage, that is essential for touring as is a good windscreen setup to combat buffeting.

If not installed consider a headlight relay set (google that here and read up on electrical gremlins) to prevent starter switch and connector problems.
Big B, richlandrick and om28 like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Definitely second the notion to protect yourself well first. As for the bike: crash bars for sure. My handguards have probably saved my levers a time or two. That could have been a hassle on a trip. Tusks for the first year or so, then BarkBuster Storms to present. Any will do the job. I like having the very light, quiet and affordable Hyde Racing belly pan to protect the oil filter and to give purchase the totally ghetto hardware cloth I have in front of the engine. Relocate/replace the turns. I carry a spare OEM shifter. I do ride a fair bit of off pavement. My bike has fallen over a few times. Just pick it up and go. It's fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150615_073108.jpg (746.0 KB, 17 views)
post #7 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
How long do you plan to keep the bike? What sort of weather will you be riding in?

Mine has a front fender extension that I'm happy the previous owner installed. It has kept some of the road grime off the exhaust and whatnot.

I never bothered with a skidplate or an oil cooler guard, and in 120k miles it hasn't been an issue.

The factory plastic handguards are great for cold and bad weather.

Well, I intend to keep it for a long time, since this bike meets all my requirements. Where i live, weather is fine most of the year.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejay View Post
For road use, none of it is necessary, just get out and ride. If you don't have good riding gear, that is a better investment.

If you already have good gear for yourself and plan to protect the bike, I would say this priority:
Crash bars or frame sliders
Oil cooler guard
Hand guards
Radiator guard
Riding gear comes first, of course. That was never questionable.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I hear you. I'm one of those who is always looking for their "next ride". The more time I spend on the Wee (07) the more I'm convinced my next ride will be another Wee. I've had mine for 4, going on 5 years. Every winter I add some more farkle. The bike is great just as it is but I just can't stop throwing money at it.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I would add the Barkbuster hand guards to protect the levers in a tip-over situation. My previous Harley never broke a lever or anything else, and it hit the ground hard a handful of times in my 20 years of ownership. My Wee fell over once, into the dirt, and immediately shed half of the brake lever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode