New ride - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

8Likes
  • 1 Post By notacop
  • 1 Post By Gert
  • 2 Post By chicago
  • 1 Post By Hmm
  • 1 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By chicago
  • 1 Post By Stalky Tracker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
New ride

Well after a few hundred miles on the new to me 2011 L1 I have started a list of upgrades. The first of which will be the peg lowering kit and grip covers from Adventure tech. I am 6' 3" with a 34 " inseam so I think these will help me get more comfy on the bike. I am used to floorboards so I just have to get used to pegs. I think the bar risers will help too but I am not sure yet. Also I am going to have to either get a air ride or sheepskin to raise me a bit, but I will keep my eyes open for a seat too. I have a Corbin on my cruiser and like it but I also live close to the Sargent folks in Jacksonville Fl so that may be a possibility in the future as I can just take the seat and leave it with them. I have changed the oil and serviced the chain and fiddled with it almost daily. This is an awesome bike, I just cant say enough good things about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Where's Waldo? in Florida apparently. Hola! The Air Hawk air seat really isn't about height but about evening out the pressure on your Bum. Sheep skins aren't thick either. I got a seat topper from Rocky Mayer that is a actually a thicker tractor seat device that gives me more leg room on my 650 BMW.
An actual seat rebuild from Sargent may be a decent choice.
David Waldo likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

2" raisers and a foot peg lowering kit will help with your setup. A simple reroute of cables may be required when installing the 2" raisers. Anything higher will entail longer cables. This foot lowering link, to a write up with pix, is for the Glee but the principle is the same for your L1 Wee https://www.stromtrooper.com/adventu...ering-kit.html
David Waldo likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM
$tromtrooper

congrats.

you may want to ensure valve adjustment maintenance is up to date. a headlight relay is also good preventative maintenance as many have discovered.
om28 and David Waldo like this.

14 tooth for me
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Waldo View Post
Well after a few hundred miles on the new to me 2011 L1 I have started a list of upgrades. The first of which will be the peg lowering kit and grip covers from Adventure tech. I am 6' 3" with a 34 " inseam so I think these will help me get more comfy on the bike. I am used to floorboards so I just have to get used to pegs. I think the bar risers will help too but I am not sure yet. Also I am going to have to either get a air ride or sheepskin to raise me a bit, but I will keep my eyes open for a seat too. I have a Corbin on my cruiser and like it but I also live close to the Sargent folks in Jacksonville Fl so that may be a possibility in the future as I can just take the seat and leave it with them. I have changed the oil and serviced the chain and fiddled with it almost daily. This is an awesome bike, I just cant say enough good things about it.
If your pegs seem a bit narrow front to back, you could replace them. I only ride on pavement and I wanted something bigger on my 08 Wee. I went to the Goldwing forum and bought a set of used Goldwing pegs. They dropped the peg height slightly and now I can move my feet around to different positions while riding with plenty of side to side and front to back area. Just a suggestion.
David Waldo likes this.

Bill
I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time.

2008 Wee current
2014 Spyder RT LTD current

Past - Yamaha 850, Honda Nighthawk 700, Honda GL1200, Yamaha FJ1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Honda GL1800
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Great suggestions, thank so much for the input.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you add 2" risers drop the front by lifting the fork legs 12mm in the tripple clamps. Helps with cables not getting too tight and quickes steering a little. A common mod many have done and easily reversed.

To give you a little more legroom look for now kind of rare Buell Olysses foot pegs (surprise I found a pair. Some dealers may still have a pair). They need a little adjustment, they are a little wider than stock, but give you another inch of room. I moved mine from my WEE to the V2. Every little bit helps and I am not 6.3.
David Waldo likes this.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
congrats.

you may want to ensure valve adjustment maintenance is up to date. a headlight relay is also good preventative maintenance as many have discovered.
Is the headlight relay a difficult job? I don't worry about turning wrenches but messing with the wiring makes me nervous
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Waldo View Post
Is the headlight relay a difficult job? I don't worry about turning wrenches but messing with the wiring makes me nervous
If you order from Eastern Beaver you get a new wiring harness with instructions. Really plug and play. Harness can be threaded between frame and engine without tank removal. It provides a new circuit for your lights as some have discovered oem circuit failures. check google search box for info. lights failing at night can be disabling/dangerous.
David Waldo likes this.

14 tooth for me
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
If you order from Eastern Beaver you get a new wiring harness with instructions. Really plug and play. Harness can be threaded between frame and engine without tank removal. It provides a new circuit for your lights as some have discovered oem circuit failures. check google search box for info. lights failing at night can be disabling/dangerous.
What Chicago said, and if you add PC-8 from EB you'll be set for later electrical additions.
David Waldo likes this.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode