Looking for a stator and R/R - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 02-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a Procomm ESG562.
When I replaced the stator I tipped the bike enough to slide a 1" thick board under the left center stand foot and had no oil loss.
The only issue, after replacing the bike won't start (started right before I replaced). Battery is 100%, bike cranks all day long but never starts. I suspect the CPS?
Also, I had 5 loose magnets, used the JB weld method, cleaned everything up real nice.

Would be working on it but way too cold, plus too much snow & ice to get out of garage..

2007 V with 37 K miles...
Mursinary likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller22 View Post
When I replaced the stator I tipped the bike enough to slide a 1" thick board under the left center stand foot and had no oil loss.
The only issue, after replacing the bike won't start (started right before I replaced). Battery is 100%, bike cranks all day long but never starts. I suspect the CPS?
Also, I had 5 loose magnets, used the JB weld method, cleaned everything up real nice.

Would be working on it but way too cold, plus too much snow & ice to get out of garage..

If the bike started and ran before the work it should start after. Retrace your steps and check wiring and connectors in the areas you touched. Don't run down an alley chasing something new. Fuel and spark. Check all your fuses. Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on. Can you smell gas at the tail pipe. It is probably something small and simple.
DesertBike likes this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #13 of 18 Old 02-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:

Curious about that stator - it claims 20% higher output than stock. Can you tell?

I ran out of excess power on my DL1000 when running heated gear, but fixed it by substituting LED H4's for the stock headlights.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
Curious about that stator - it claims 20% higher output than stock. Can you tell?

I ran out of excess power on my DL1000 when running heated gear, but fixed it by substituting LED H4's for the stock headlights.
I don't think you want higher output. The RR is there to burn off excess power. Why put a higher load on it?

Or perhaps that's your point.
DesertBike likes this.

Last edited by drmonbowen; 02-04-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post

Howdy,

I took side case off , de-soldered CPS, from both old stator and new stator wiring harness and used the old CPS. Put back together and bike fired up then the weather turned to crap (25 degree drop in temp in less than half hour), so I didn't get a chance to monitor voltages.

I also run a Ricks hot shot R/R...

Last fall when I replaced stator (it was burned and was shorted), I also did the JB weld for 4 magnets.

I will post voltage updates in the next several days.
DesertBike likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Today I checked voltage at idle, 14.26. It ramped up to 14.65 at 4-5K. Ran out of time, will try adding more voltage eating accessories.. heated grips, hi beam and other add-ons when I have more time. Don't plan on riding for a few more days (still really crappy spring weather here)..
post #17 of 18 Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Today I checked voltage at idle, 14.26. It ramped up to 14.65 at 4-5K. Ran out of time, will try adding more voltage eating accessories.. heated grips, hi beam and other add-ons when I have more time. Don't plan on riding for a few more days (still really crappy spring weather here)..
That charging voltage is not a problem and I don't think it needs to be fixed.

Most 12V voltage charts/references say anything up to 14.8V is OK for charging, whilst avoiding overstressing the battery.

What does the DL650 service manual say? For my DL1000, normal charging voltage is anywhere from 14.0-15.5V @ 5000 rpm. I get around 14.5V charging with the aftermarket (SH847 series-type) R/R I installed a few years ago, and a Custom Rewind-rebuilt stator, so I'm smack in the middle of the "OK" range.

I don't think you will be able to lower the R/R output voltage simply by adding more load (devices). You will eventually overload the stator, but why would you want to do that?

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles
post #18 of 18 Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Howdy,

I'm perfectly happy with the charging now. This afternoon I tested with hot heated grips & high beams.. Perfect & steady.
Before the replacing the stator I got 10-11.5 volts at 5K rpm (the evening the stator died).. dead battery... had a difficult time getting home, EFI barely worked, I limped into driveway...
DesertBike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode