Aluminum crush washers for oil cooler - can I use a generic M14 aluminum gasket? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Aluminum crush washers for oil cooler - can I use a generic M14 aluminum gasket?

Hi fellow troopers,

I left work the other day to find oil spots underneath my bike, a drop of oil on the engine-side lower oil line bolt, and a fair amount of scum on the underside of the engine.

I replaced the oil cooler yesterday figuring it was all upstream. I'd known it was leaking and thought it had just gotten worse. Instead, it turns out it was also leaking further down, appearently from partway down the lower oil line (PN 16460-17G00).

I think I need to replace at least the lower oil line. There are a few on ebay for the SV that share the same part number and should arrive by Friday. However, the crush washers ("GASKET (14X20X1.5)" PN 09168-14015) either come from Japan or I will have to order them from bikbandit or partzilla which have been horribly slow in the past with poor communication. I do see one seller advertising "Engine Aluminum Drain Plug Gasket for M14 Geo Kia Mazda Pontiac Buick Dorman" which cross-references the suzuki part number. The dimensions it shows equate to 14.12mmX20.0152X1.41mm. Would you bet on this?

If they aren't a fit, do you think I could get away reusing the current gaskets until the proper ones come in? I am okay trading a moderate leak for a small leak if it means I can get to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 PM
$tromtrooper

I used my washers multiable times on my 650. No leaks.
Warhead likes this.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2old View Post
I used my washers multiable times on my 650. No leaks.
Same here.
Warhead likes this.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80

post #4 of 23 Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Would you bet on this?

If they aren't a fit, do you think I could get away reusing the current gaskets until the proper ones come in?
I'd bet on it. Or if you reuse, dress it on some fine sandpaper. I always swap oil drain plug washers with either brass or aluminum ones off a doorman rack.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Good to know, thanks! New hoses are on the way. Hopefully I can get this heap back on the road before temps really get low.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

These crush washers are available in bulk from Crest Industries, Wurth, and many others. Also available at most all auto parts stores.

I replace crush washers each and every time a drain plug or junction comes apart. These are termed one-time parts.
Inexpensive, you already have it apart, and Ive personally witnessed the aftermath of ALLEGED MECHANICS trying to save 4 minutes or a quarter(if that much) leading to an oil-related failure. It ain't pretty. I also use a torque wrench on drain plugs. I've made a fair amount of $$ replacing stripped oil pans or engines these same ALLEGED MECHANICS worked on prior to me working on it.

These gaskets are also available in copper, which is what I prefer. I got them from my former auto dealership employer in a box of 100.

If you can't afford the time or money to replace a simple sealing washer when doing a job....well, you know the rest.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Agree with MAZ4ME.

In a pinch, on the road, in an emergency, I would have no problem with reusing a crush washer. But for planned maintenance, in my garage with all the tools and spares at hand, and having to order/buy stuff (like oil) in advance anyway, it simply does not make sense NOT to replace a crush washer.

Having said that, the OP was not talking about the industry-standard M14 crush washer for the oil drain plug, but a crush washer that's used somewhere else (in the lower oil line, wherever that is). And that crush washer is made from unobtainium or something and apparently hard to source. I don't know if it's the same size as a regular M14 crush washer or something weird. My approach would be to see if a regular M14 crush washer would work too and use that.

If not, then I fully agree with the OP proposal: Reuse the current washer until the proper sized new washers come in. Indeed, the worst that can happen is a small oil leak, and you are vigilant enough to notice that in time.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

A crush washer is a crush washer is a...you get the idea. Doesnt matter if it's for an oil drain plug, a oil cooler hose connection at either the engine or cooler, or a brake line at a master cylinder or caliper.
Look in any motorcycle or car service manual-- where there's a sealing ring there's an arrow with an asterisk or an "R" signifying "REPLACE".
If you choose not to and dont have a problem, more power to you. What have you really saved?
It's not like these sealing rings are made of unobtanium or are prohibitively expensive.
You dont have to be paid to do a professional job.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
To replace or not replace is quite a topic, for me I don't recall EVER replacing an oil plug crush washer on any bike I have owned......zero leaks/drips/issues....do as you must.
Eastbayview likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Fox
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
If you choose not to and dont have a problem, more power to you. What have you really saved?
In this case, I'll save a week's lead time that I would have spent waiting on the part, and be able to get to work. This is more important than losing a few drops of oil, and I'll replace those holy rings the next time I change the oil. I always use a torque wrench where it matters.

Life is full of risks. The benefit of doing work on my bike is that if I gamble and lose, it's on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
To replace or not replace is quite a topic, for me I don't recall EVER replacing an oil plug crush washer on any bike I have owned......zero leaks/drips/issues....do as you must.
118,000 miles and counting, one drain plug gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode